Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
The Phillies announced this afternoon that team president David Montgomery will be taking a medical leave of absence while recovering from jaw cancer surgery. Taking over baseball operations in his absence: former Phillies GM and current senior advisor for the Phillies.
This has been a turbulent week for the Phillies. First with part-owner Sally Buck passing on Saturday, now Montgomery’s absence. Here’s hoping Montgomery gets well soon.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)