Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
The Phillies announced this afternoon that team president David Montgomery will be taking a medical leave of absence while recovering from jaw cancer surgery. Taking over baseball operations in his absence: former Phillies GM and current senior advisor for the Phillies.
This has been a turbulent week for the Phillies. First with part-owner Sally Buck passing on Saturday, now Montgomery’s absence. Here’s hoping Montgomery gets well soon.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (213)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)