Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
The Red Sox signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo agreed to a record seven-year, $72 million contract less than one week ago and it looks like they aren’t wasting any time getting him into game action.
Per Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Castillo has successfully obtained a work visa from the U.S. government and is now eligible to play in games. The 27-year-old arrived at the Red Sox facility in Fort Myers, Florida on Wednesday to begin workouts. The minor league season is drawing to a close in a hurry, but one option is to use him during the Gulf Coast League playoffs this weekend. The expectation is that he will get some major league experience in September.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)