Aug 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has a lengthy story about the Red Sox’s new $72 million outfielder Rusney Castillo, including this tidbit about how the Cuban defector spent his first day in the United States back in June:
[Castillo] came to the U.S. with his wife and 5-year-old daughter on June 25, the same day Jay-Z and his wife Beyonce brought their “On the Run” tour to a sold-out Sun Life Stadium in Miami. Castillo spent his first night in the U.S. at the concert.
Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter is the founder of the entertainment company Roc Nation, LLC; Roc Nation Sports is its sports management division, with Castillo joining Robinson Cano of the Mariners, CC Sabathia of the Yankees, Kevin Durant of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, Celtics draftee James Young and the WNBA’s Skylar Diggins among its first clients.
“[Castillo] landed and went right to the show,” Perez said by telephone Wednesday night. “That was the first time Jay-Z laid eyes on him. Jay-Z welcomed him to the States.”
And then a couple months later he got $72 million. What a country.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)