Aug 28, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
It probably won’t get much attention because it’s kind of an odd record, but Giants right-hander Yusmeiro Petit just set a new MLB all-time mark by retiring 46 consecutive batters.
There was no perfect game involved and in fact the 46 batters stretched over the course of eight appearances. Mark Buehrle held the previous record of 45 back in 2009.
And here’s the funny part: After setting the record Petit allowed a double to the next batter, who was Rockies pitcher Jordan Lyles. So, set down 46 straight hitters and then give up a double to a pitcher. Makes sense.
Petit also came up one out short of a perfect game last September against the Diamondbacks, so he’s had some remarkable stretches for a 29-year-old journeyman with fewer than 400 career innings in the big leagues.
Petit was once a top prospect with the Mets and posted incredible numbers in the minors, but his high-80s fastball always made people skeptical and he struggled to keep the ball in the ballpark early in his career. Since joining the Giants last season Petit has a sub-3.50 ERA in nearly 140 innings, with great secondary numbers.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)