Adam Jones says his favorite place in Baltimore is the airport, so he can fly home

Aug 29, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Adam Jones AP

Adam Jones took part in the Orioles “Social Media Night” yesterday, answering questions from fans. His answers didn’t play well with the home crowd. From the Baltimore Sun:

The star outfielder irked some fans in attendance with short responses during the question-and-answer session, and he earned especially negative attention for saying his favorite place in Baltimore was the airport so he could fly home.

Jones said afterward that he meant to say that he liked the airport because that’s where he picked up his family and friends who visited him which, um, OK, nice effort at a save, but I feel like no one is buying it. He did add, however, that his answers weren’t serious and/or that he was rushed and wasn’t concentrating because the event took place an hour before game time and his focus was elsewhere. He said he’d like to do the event again so he could “give better answers.”

Still, gotta wonder if Jones’ comment about enjoying leaving Baltimore is a Kinsley Gaffe. Also gotta wonder why this sort of stuff matters too much. If Jones were traded tomorrow, the people of Baltimore would drop him pretty darn quickly, so why is he expected to have any sort of enduring loyalty to the town? I know that’s how the fiction of sports loyalty works and no player is ever well-advised to act as if his team’s city is anything but the greatest on Earth, but it is kind of silly when you think about it.

1. psuorioles - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:10 AM

This is the problem with a lot of Baltimore fans; Orioles or Ravens. They take everything to heart and get offended if you don’t live, breath, eat Baltimore 24/7. Jones is a leader on and off the field in Baltimore and for people to get offended by his comments is childish…

• poetbelle - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Exactly! And who could blame him for liking his native San Diego weather better. I’m not a fan of Baltimore winters myself and I am a native.

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Especially this past winter. It was not fun here in Charm City. We’re having a lovely summer, however. :)

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM

They are calling for an even worse winter this year. Let’s all join hands and do a dance around a keg of Natty Boh and collectively hope they are wrong.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I agree, I hat that people get their panties in a wad for being offended over something trivial. He can take a crap on the sidewalk at Harbor Place if he keeps making plays like the double play the other night. I myself, am more offended at that jack-wagon Texeira who was a Baltimore kid and said he’s always loved the Yankees. Glad to see the same wrist that signed that albatross of a contract, is what is holding him back.

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Well, the O’s were terrible when Tex signed with the Yankees, and the Yanks gave him millions more than the O’s offer. Can’t say I blame him.

• pete2112 - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

@joeflaccosunibrow: That just sounds like sour grapes. If Tex had signed with the O’s and had mentioned he always loved the Yankees, it would pretty much be the same as what Jones did, in my opinion.

• jeffchadwick - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I’ve been to many Eagles games as a fan of an opposing team, and never was harassed as I was at a Ravens preseason game.

• zzalapski - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Would this be the wrist that’s connected to the hand with the 2009 World Series Championship ring?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM

It’s a problem with fans in general. Other cities are much worse at it than in Baltimore, but yes some Baltimore fans could use a chillax pill.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I’m looking at you Dallas, New York, Pittsburgh, Philladelphia, Boston/New England.

Come to think of it, is it me or are Football fans ten times worse at this sort of thing than Baseball fans?

• schmedley69 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I live in Baltimore. They are just as bad as those other cities. Especially Ravens fans.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I live 10 min south of Baltimore (Just outside Glen Dirty). I’m well aware of how bad Baltimore fans can be. I’m not saying they/we aren’t. I’m just saying others are pretty terrible aswell. I never understood why people take such a life or death approach to their teams. Sure, root for your team, be proud of them, but it’s just a game. It’s not like we are warring tribes during the dark ages fighting for honor, duty, freedom, and food rations. Get a grip people. Just look at how Yankee fans treated Cano.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I’m going to go under the assumption my thumbs down is because of my use of the word Chillax. Under that condition, I fully accept all downs.

• schmedley69 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM

You said other cities are “much worse” than Baltimore. I think that all sports fans in North East cities are pretty much on par with each other, Baltimore fans included. Most fans are great, but there is definitely a pocket of bad fans that take things too far and give the entire fan base a black eye from time to time. Just like in those other cities.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM

@schmedley69 that’s fair enough. I probably over stated when I said much worse, I really was just pointing out that this issue doesn’t solely reside in Baltimore.

2. poetbelle - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Nice trolling there, Craig! Adam purchased a home in the Baltimore area last year and his significant other is a Baltimore girl. He must like it well enough.

• Paper Lions - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM

A guy making tens of millions of dollars buying a home so he can live there instead of in an apartment or hotel says nothing about how much he likes the city….that’s just pragmatic. He’s there 6 months of the year regardless of how much he enjoys the city. Veterans on long-term deals usually buy houses in or near the city they play in.

• poetbelle - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:43 AM

And your point? I’m not a bit upset about his comments and I think this whole “story” is a tempest in a teapot to stir up bad feelings towards Adam Jones. It’s amazing what passes for baseball news these days. It’s like a free for all reality tv show. Let’s get as many page hits as I can by trolling a fan base!

• sportsfan18 - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM

his point was that those things do NOT necessarily mean he likes it well enough there…

and he’s right

• buckyball88 - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Paper Lions, it isn’t just that he bought a home here. He took a pretty hefty paycut to stay with team.

• acepicker4 - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

The nerve! Imagine using a baseball discussion blog to get people to click and discuss issues surrounding baseball players. Scandalous!

• poetbelle - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Well I would prefer something “meatier” to discuss than gossip from the Perez Hilton of baseball blogs.

3. jbriggs81 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Pretty sure they will forgive him for his comments the next time he has a big hit – probably tonight

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Or he steals home-plate. Or he robs a guy of a home-run. Remember that play a few years ago when he stole home to win the ballgame? Or how about that time he dropped that perfect bunt to win the game in extras?

4. freedomofspeechyesway - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I live outside of Baltimore. I’ve been to San Diego. If given the opportunity to uproot career and family to San Diego I’d go in a heartbeat.

“Also gotta wonder why this sort of stuff matters too much.”

Not sure. I guess you’d have to ask the sports writers who report it…

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Can’t say I really care that much. As long as he’s doing his job and doing it well, he’s free to prefer whatever city he wants. He chose to stay here and sign a long extension, and in the end that’s all I really care about.

6. inserthandle - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This isn’t the first report of Jones displaying a rude indifference bordering on hostility towards fans who dare bask in his glory: http://eutawstreetreport.com/camden-yards-ball-hawk-69-v-red-sox-the-adam-jones-incident/

Jones is generally regarded as the most charismatic and media-friendly Orioles, but apparently he is not always thrilled about the drudgery associated with being the face of the franchise. Meeting fans? But they can’t even hit home runs!

• poetbelle - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Adam is great guy and does a whole heck of a lot in the community with under privileged kids. I admire him for that. What I think he has a problem with are people who don’t know the meaning of personal space and privacy. I can’t say that I blame him there.

• inserthandle - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I don’t necessarily approve of the ballhawk’s antics in that encounter. He probably crossed a line and would be better off chasing down a girlfriend than home run balls. But there really is no excusing Jones’ dickish attitude.

7. sophiethegreatdane - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I live in downtown Baltimore, and have for a long time. The city gets a bad rap in the press, and people who don’t know the town think it’s The Wire, everywhere.

But really, it’s a pretty fantastic place. Wonderful neighborhoods, great restaurants and bars, and there’s a huge amount of pride to be found in it’s residents.

Personally, I don’t need Adam Jones to love Baltimore. You know what I need from Adam? More walks. Less flailing at sliders on the outside of the plate.

And no, I wouldn’t drop him if he was traded tomorrow — I’d still be a fan, and many of us would. I wouldn’t root for him to have specific success against my team, but it’s not like I would suddenly hate the guy.

Other than that, he can think what he wants of the town and/or airport. I love Baltimore, and so do my friends and family. That’s enough.

• poetbelle - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Yep! Agree with you 100%.

• pbastille - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I grew up one block outside the city limits in Brooklyn Park, the smelly armpit of the AA County/Baltimore City confluence. Can’t say that I ever fell in love with the town until I moved to midtown. Lived in various neighborhoods after that and loved about 85% of the minutes of it. You just have to give the city — actually, any city/town etc. — a chance.

• mybrunoblog - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Well said. I’ve been to Baltimore many times and always enjoyed it. I actually think its gotten cleaner and safer since the early 1990s when I starred going down there. I’m up here in NYC area. I couldn’t care less if Yankee players liked or hated NYC. Just play good baseball. I think most fans don’t care about this stuff it’s more a media fishing for a story deal.

• buckyball88 - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Thank you! I’m so tired of hearing people run down the City of Baltimore when they have no idea what they’re talking about.

8. pete2112 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I agree that one shouldn’t get too upset about this, but on the other hand if you’re Adam Jones, why not just keep that to yourself? Is there really a need to be so blunt and offend those that are sensitive to that kind of thing. He just seems to have a chip on his shoulder at times.

9. realgone2 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM

He’s a pro athlete not a diplomat. I’m still glad he’s on the O’s. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t absolutely hate the city but much prefers his home town. Let it go.

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM

>>I’m pretty sure he doesn’t absolutely hate the city but much prefers his home town.

You’re right. I’m guessing most folks prefer their home town. I can’t begrudge Adam loving San Diego — it’s a beautiful place.

• pete2112 - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I agree, but I don’t think you need to be a diplomat to have some form of a common sense filter when answering a question such as that. Having said that, I would totally move to San Diego. It’s probably the perfect city.

10. 18thstreet - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Maybe he just really, really, really likes BWI.

There’s a plethora of parking options there. And — this is a true statement — that airport has the greatest parking garage I’ve ever seen. You never have to circle to look for a spot. There’s signs and red/green lights that alert you to where the open spaces are. On the other hand, I think the security lines are the most unpleasant of any that I’ve dealt with (not that I’m a constant traveler).

Overall, I think Adam Jones is wrong about BWI Airport. It’s good, but hardly great.

Is it 5:00 yet?

11. rcali - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Maybe a bad move by the org to be doing this right before a game. Another case of going to far with social media by the team, especially when players tend to get themselves in trouble with it.

12. nbjays - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I think if you asked any of the Orioles’ players at this point in the season, they’d all agree that their favourite place is first place.

13. stackers1 - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM

“Glad to see the same wrist that signed that albatross of a contract, is what is holding him back.”

If you move down from Texiera’s wrist to his ring finger, you’ll find a lovely piece of jewerly which he never would have received if he signed with Baltimore. But feel free to be bitter.

14. edouble86 - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM

This is a completely worthless article, Craig, and I’m sorry I took time to read it. Who cares? Report on some actual baseball stuff, please.

• acepicker4 - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Blame the Baltimore Sun. They started it, not Craig. Just read the “and this happened” part and you will get baseball “news”. Craig’s job as a blogger is to promote discussion. He does a good job of that on a daily basis.

15. sd619tripleog - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Can’t blame him. There’s a reason why I haven’t left San Diego. Well three actually…the women, weather and Mexican food. With the double over head surf lately, it’s like being in Hawaii but not stuck in the middle of the pacific

• mazblast - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I was in SD a few weeks ago and discovered why my brother and his g/f are so into hiking. It’s because there’s never anywhere to PARK!

• sd619tripleog - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Eh that’s only during the summer from everyone and their mother visiting from Arizona and Texas, mainly Arizona (they invade the beaches during summer). You just have to know the secret parking areas to avoid the tourist traps. It’ll be a lot better after this 3 day weekend. “can’t wait”

16. jimmyt - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM

The real gauge on how they feel about your town is how many pro athletes choose to remain living in the city they play for after retirement, or even after being traded or signing somewhere else before that. Like in St. Louis.

17. tomtravis76 - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM

If you followed the Ravens Super Bowl run, Adam was the only Oriole at all of the games, right along side Michael Phelps. The guy has embraced Baltimore, and Baltimore has embraced him. There is nothing wrong with loving the city you are from, MD residents should respect that. The Ravens players do a heck of a job supporting their fellow athletes across the parking lot. Hopefully Adam retires an Oriole and brings another title to Charm City.

• Reflex - Aug 29, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Sitting next to Phelps is an opposite of testament to Jones’ character.

• buckyball88 - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM

tomtravis76’s point is that Jones was there supporting the local team.

18. mdbengal - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Baltimore is hell. Can’t blame him. Someone needs to call air support on that city.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM

At least its got a harbor, unlike Cincy.

19. psousa1 - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Had a flight delayed once in Baltimore and got really loaded at one of the restaurants and had a great time with all the other delayed passengers. So I can say I enjoyed the Baltimore airport as well.

20. bestintheworld92 - Aug 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Come Home ADAM The Padres Need Your Bat ☺

21. jimeejohnson - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM

He’s “jonesing” for the west coast. Otherwise, he’s never had a good ole Maryland Crab Boil.

22. davidc23715 - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:03 AM

It was a hateful comment made by selfish and entitled jock. Are you not entertained?

23. buckyball88 - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Considering that he has chosen to buy a home in Baltimore, that he signed a long-term contract for significantly less than what he could have gotten on the open market (around $90 million, which considering how much contracts have inflated is surely less than what he would have gotten as a free agent), I think we should give Adam the benefit of the doubt. Just because he misses his family and friends on the West Coast does not mean he hates Baltimore.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS