Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Reds first baseman Joey Votto took ground balls on Wednesday and swung a bat on Thursday, but he hasn’t responded as well as the club expected, reports C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Votto is not with the Reds as they open up a series in Pittsburgh.
Votto has been out since July 8 with a left distal quad strain. There’s increasing belief that Votto could not return this season, as only 28 games remain going into their series opener tonight.
Manager Bryan Price on Votto:
“He took a few ground balls (Wednesday). It wasn’t as good a result as we had hoped. There was still some fairly significant discomfort when he got lateral side-to-side so we had back off with that and stay with some strengthening and whatever the physical therapy protocols are. We hope when we get back there are some marked improvement. He took some light swings yesterday and he’ll be able to gradually increase baseball workload based on how he feels.”
Due in part to the injury, Votto was posting some of the worst numbers of his career, slashing .255/.390/.409 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 272 plate appearances prior to landing on the disabled list.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)