Aug 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Justin Masterson‘s season has been godawful. He had a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts for the Indians and now he has a 7.43 ERA in five starts for the Cardinals. He didn’t make it out of the fourth inning in his last appearance, allowing five runs. So now he’s going to try something different: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Masterson is going to work exclusively out of the stretch, abandoning his windup.
I suppose it can’t hurt given that everything else he has done has led to unmitigated disaster. But this strikes me as a desperation move. If the game Saturday wasn’t part of a doubleheader one questions whether he’d even get the start. And unless he is fantastic on Saturday, you figure this is the last start the Cards will give him, given that they’re fighting to make the playoffs and all.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)