Aug 29, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners have shut down 1B/DH Jesus Montero for the season so he can focus on his “non-baseball issues”.
Montero, of course, made headlines last night and today after it was reported that he went after a heckling scout with a bat during a Northwest League matchup between the Boise Hawks and the Everett AquaSox. Montero was rehabbing with Everett as he recovers from an oblique injury.
Montero, 24, has not lived up to expectations since coming over to the Mariners along with Hector Noesi in the trade that sent Michael Pineda and Jose Campos to the Yankees. Along with weight issues and injuries, Montero has posted a meager .251/.291/.378 slash line with 19 home runs and 73 RBI in 680 plate appearances with the Mariners.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (98)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)