Aug 29, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners have shut down 1B/DH Jesus Montero for the season so he can focus on his “non-baseball issues”.
Montero, of course, made headlines last night and today after it was reported that he went after a heckling scout with a bat during a Northwest League matchup between the Boise Hawks and the Everett AquaSox. Montero was rehabbing with Everett as he recovers from an oblique injury.
Montero, 24, has not lived up to expectations since coming over to the Mariners along with Hector Noesi in the trade that sent Michael Pineda and Jose Campos to the Yankees. Along with weight issues and injuries, Montero has posted a meager .251/.291/.378 slash line with 19 home runs and 73 RBI in 680 plate appearances with the Mariners.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)