Aug 29, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners have shut down 1B/DH Jesus Montero for the season so he can focus on his “non-baseball issues”.
Montero, of course, made headlines last night and today after it was reported that he went after a heckling scout with a bat during a Northwest League matchup between the Boise Hawks and the Everett AquaSox. Montero was rehabbing with Everett as he recovers from an oblique injury.
Montero, 24, has not lived up to expectations since coming over to the Mariners along with Hector Noesi in the trade that sent Michael Pineda and Jose Campos to the Yankees. Along with weight issues and injuries, Montero has posted a meager .251/.291/.378 slash line with 19 home runs and 73 RBI in 680 plate appearances with the Mariners.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)