Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
Of course it’s easy to express interest without getting down to brass tacks, and there’s no way the O’s and Cruz’s people are down to brass tacks at the moment. Everyone is happy with the crazy-productive player on the team-friendly deal, but if and when Cruz starts to shop his wares to other teams in November, he’s going to be in pretty high demand and thus will cost a lot more. To get something now will require the O’s to buy Cruz out of that which he was deprived of last year because of the Biogenesis stigma: a relatively wide open market for his services.
Well, wide open one once accounts for the fact that he’ll likely have a qualifying offer from the Orioles, but at least this winter he won’t be seen as damaged goods.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)