Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
Of course it’s easy to express interest without getting down to brass tacks, and there’s no way the O’s and Cruz’s people are down to brass tacks at the moment. Everyone is happy with the crazy-productive player on the team-friendly deal, but if and when Cruz starts to shop his wares to other teams in November, he’s going to be in pretty high demand and thus will cost a lot more. To get something now will require the O’s to buy Cruz out of that which he was deprived of last year because of the Biogenesis stigma: a relatively wide open market for his services.
Well, wide open one once accounts for the fact that he’ll likely have a qualifying offer from the Orioles, but at least this winter he won’t be seen as damaged goods.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 3
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)