Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal has a report of management strife between Astros manager Bo Porter and GM Jeff Luhnow.
As is so often the case in any organization, it boils down to communication. Or lack thereof. Specifically, Porter’s anger at not being consulted by Luhnow in several instances, including a time when prospect Mark Appel was called to Houston to throw a bullpen session for the team’s pitching coach. Rosenthal reports that Luhnow has also been too critical of Porter’s in-game decisions. Porter has complained to team owner Jim Crane.
Which, OK, it’s a team that loses a lot of games and which — because of some irrationally exuberant reporting about its competitive prospects — has been under a lot of scrutiny of late. That leads to tension. Although I was rather surprised by Rosenthal’s wind up to this:
The question now is whether their relationship can be salvaged – and whether Crane will want to replace one or both.
Crane might resist any change, not wanting to admit that he made a mistake with either hiring. But it’s difficult to imagine the Astros starting the 2015 season with the same management team.
Rosenthal is not the type to overstate things for dramatic effect. One gets the sense that he’s actually hearing this from someone. That would be pretty nuts, but maybe things are pretty bad.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)