Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal has a report of management strife between Astros manager Bo Porter and GM Jeff Luhnow.
As is so often the case in any organization, it boils down to communication. Or lack thereof. Specifically, Porter’s anger at not being consulted by Luhnow in several instances, including a time when prospect Mark Appel was called to Houston to throw a bullpen session for the team’s pitching coach. Rosenthal reports that Luhnow has also been too critical of Porter’s in-game decisions. Porter has complained to team owner Jim Crane.
Which, OK, it’s a team that loses a lot of games and which — because of some irrationally exuberant reporting about its competitive prospects — has been under a lot of scrutiny of late. That leads to tension. Although I was rather surprised by Rosenthal’s wind up to this:
The question now is whether their relationship can be salvaged – and whether Crane will want to replace one or both.
Crane might resist any change, not wanting to admit that he made a mistake with either hiring. But it’s difficult to imagine the Astros starting the 2015 season with the same management team.
Rosenthal is not the type to overstate things for dramatic effect. One gets the sense that he’s actually hearing this from someone. That would be pretty nuts, but maybe things are pretty bad.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)