Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions

Aug 29, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT

Troy Tulowitzki Troy Tulowitzki

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes about Troy Tulowitzki and his plethora of injuries over the years. The sorts of injuries which, historically speaking, tend to cause players to have to move from more demanding defensive positions to less demanding ones. And shortstop is pretty darn demanding. Here’s what Tulo says about the possibility of having to change positions:

“No, I won’t move,” he said in a phone interview. “I will retire before I move.”

Not to third base? Not to first base, a position that could save him from wear and tear and possibly prolong his career?

“No. It’s just who I am, it’s what I do, it’s what I have dreamed of as a kid,” said Tulowitzki, 29. “It’s all I know and it’s all I’ve ever worked for. So I guess when you have a dream and you accomplish it and someone tries to take it away from you … it wouldn’t be worth it for me to try and move somewhere else.”

We all had dreams when we were kids. I was going to be a sports writer — wait, bad example.

Point is, if the time comes when the Rockies or whoever employs Tulowitzki decide that his highest and best use is as, say, a second or third baseman, such an attitude probably won’t play well. The only guy around who is allowed to play shortstop years after better options presented themselves for his team is Derek Jeter. And he had four World Series rings before that became an issue. More often than not, the Michael Young situation applies: you may want to play short, but it’s a team game and even the big stars move off short when better options are available.

1. skerney - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I am Tulo, The Wrath Of God.

• Old Gator - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Somehow, I can’t imagine Tulowitzki covered with monkeys. Can you?

2. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM

He needs an icecream sandwich.

3. tmohr - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM

It’s a valid question, but unlike the others mentioned, Tulowitzki remains a plus defender. Between that and the juice he has as the face of the franchise, he ain’t moving anytime soon.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:26 AM

He has “the juice”? Hmm, maybe he takes too much of it, and this explains all the muscular and connective tissue injuries?

4. sportsfan18 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Real mature…

Cal Ripken moved to 3rd…

Many fantastic ballplayers have changed positions…

I’m not saying he should or has to move…

I don’t know what his future will be, what he’ll be like in 3 yrs or 5 yrs from now…

IF and again, I said IF, it would help the team to have him change positions, it’s good to know now that he’ll put HIMSELF ahead of his team.

The team will have to choose whether having him help a little at short is better than having him help more elsewhere.

Kind of odd to hear a 29 yr old grown man say DEFINITIVELY what he will and won’t do about something 5 or 6 yrs from now…

Hope he grows up some between now and then…

Again, I don’t know what the future holds and maybe he won’t have to move. THAT isn’t the point.

It’s his attitude and defiance that is the issue. Placing himself above the team…

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Is this a haiku or something?

• yahmule - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM

It’s the dreaded Plaschke method of sportswriting. I get why he does it because he’s paid by column inch.

5. miguelcairo - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM

“No, I won’t move. I will retire before I move.”

Reasonable.

• jfk69 - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Babe Ruth moved.
      Who is this Tulo hitting 254 outside of Coors. Did he mean in the hitting lineup as well.

6. scoochpooch - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM

During the interview Tulo injured his tongue talking to the writer.

Tulo becoming more of a prick every year, it’s bad enought hat he steals money for a living now he’ll dictate where the employer decides to play him.

7. The Bronx Bombers - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:58 PM

We’ll take you, no need to rot down in Denver…

• Old Gator - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Up in Denver. Ever heard of a bas relief map? Check one out.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Take him to what? Replace Tanaka’s UCL? Go back and cry in your suds over that.

• largebill - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Maybe telegraphing his future refusal to move off SS for the best interest of his team is his way of forcing a trade to the Yankees. They like that attitude from their SS.

8. jeffbbf - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Interesting. Perhaps the Rockies could use this tactically to get out from under a massive contract in which Tulo is only giving them 100 games/year. Just tell him he’s moving to 1B and see what he does.

9. dorbs345 - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM

He doesn’t get hurt in the field, he gets hurt sprinting out routine groundouts.

10. SocraticGadfly - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Again, Rockies ownership, thanks for overpricing him in the offseason, so Mo wasn’t even tempted to trade for him.

11. greymares - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM

If I’m the manager I’m calling that bluff .

12. Kevin S. - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM

There are a hundred and eighteen million reasons why Tulo will move rather than retire if his team pushes the issue.

13. irishlad19 - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Setting himself up to be traded, but who needs an over the hill SS?
    Oh, wait–the Yankers!

14. missingdiz - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM

The Who then: “I hope I die before I get old.”

The Who now: watch for our semi-annual “Final” tour, coming soon to a stadium near you–we’ll play all the oldies and try not to embarrass ourselves too much.

He’s 29. Ask him about it in 5-6 years.

15. papacrick - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Be happy you are being paid hundreds of millions of dollars, shut up, and do what the manager thinks is best for the team. Using his dream as an excuse is so ridiculous it doesn’t really need reasoning to describe why. The kid needs to be a DH in the AL somewhere anyway. Has he ever played over 150 games in a season? What waste of talent. This isn’t football. No baseball player should be injured that much under any circumstance.

16. twinfan24 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Way to be a team player!

Granted, his play on defense should not be making anyone think of moving him at this point. But, if he slows down in the next few seasons, and still wants to play, he may need to soften his stance.

17. booboo31 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Fine Tulo, lose out on a nice contract extension when the time comes cause u don’t want to play with your team and prolong ur career…idiot

18. mungman69 - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM

How about “out in Denver”?

19. mungman69 - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Seriously, if Tulo meant this as it appears he did he should be ashamed of himself. He should stop acting like a spoiled child and grow up. He’s gotten everything that he’s always wanted BUT….

20. dakotaandotter - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM

he’s still only 29. when he’s a few years older and the option of playing 3B or 1B and making millions or retiring is considered he’ll change positions.

21. largebill - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Maybe Tulo is a big A-Rod fan and is throwing himself under the proverbial bus to help rehabilitate A-Rod’s image and reputation. People hear those comments and thinks why couldn’t he be a team player like A-Rod who will do any thing (including experimental drugs) to help his team.

22. Mark - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Good to know that Tulo is a team player that will do whatever it takes to help the Rockies.

23. greengoldandbold - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM

GROW UP !

24. tmc602014 - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Listen up, either Craig trolled you, or Craig was trolled by not reading the whole story. Read te story, although the question isn’t included, Tulo says later, “”I have always said that if I was playing (shortstop) and I wasn’t effective, then switching would be something I would talk about if I was hurting the team,” the four-time all-star said. “But for me, I am not even thinking about it, because I still think I have a lot of years left playing that position at a high level.” Which leads back to the original question, which was probably along the lines of, “Are you going to play short next year?” which yielded your click bait answer.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3405)