Wanna buy Randy Johnson’s house?

Aug 29, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT

Randy Johnson House

It’s 25,000 square feet and will only set you back $25 million:

Clad in hand-scraped wood, French limestone and travertine, vaulted interiors sport a range of features including detailed pillars, coffered and groin-vaulted ceilings and delicate arches. The 25,000 square feet of living space contains a chef’s kitchen, a formal dining room with a temperature-controlled wine cellar, his and her offices, a study lounge, a pet suite with a wash station, seven bedrooms and 12 bathrooms.

Go to the link and look at the slide show. On the one hand, it’s insanely and overly-ornately designed like just about every other athlete’s home you see. You wonder how often, for example, they use that formal sitting area or the office. Or the second office. It’s just kind of nuts.

On the other hand, unlike a lot of these athlete homes, you can actually tell an athlete lives there. Johnson has his Cy Young Awards and jerseys on display. He has a couple of cool bat racks in his pool room. Best of all, his home theater actually has a marquee outside of it, with the words “Full Count Theater” in lights over the entrance. So it’s got that going for it.

Who, apart from another zillionarie athlete would buy this place is beyond me, but good luck in your efforts to sell it, Big Unit.

1. jrs45 - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Sure I’d buy it for 300k.

2. sdelmonte - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Does it come with the Cy Young awards? If not, no deal.

3. rocketsteadman - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I’m going to go ahead and assume his grandmother was the interior decorator

4. pete2112 - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Over. The. Top.

5. proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:29 AM

My short answer to the question is “NO”.

• 22yearsagotoday - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I figured you’d say “eh”!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Whatever!

6. historiophiliac - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:29 AM

25,000 square feet? That’s a big unit!

7. officialgame - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I don’t like the area.

8. tcb375 - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:35 AM

All that space but they had to make a combination basketball/tennis court? I’ll pass.

9. rollinghighwayblues - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:50 AM

All that money and not one comfortable looking piece of furniture.

• pete2112 - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I know, right. That’s what I was thinking as I was looking at those pictures. I kept thinking to myself where would I to watch a day of football in that place and be comfortable. I would like to think if I had that kind of money, sitting comfort would still be an important part of my life.

• clydeserra - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM

yup. I would not want to live there with that furniture.

Usually these things look like all the furnishings are staged. but from the family photo and all the clothes in the closet, I think the Johnson’s actually had pictures taken while they still occupied the place.

• cassi1125 - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:37 PM

These types of places always make me wonder if there’s a mother-in-law apartment or detatched cottage there the people *actually* live.

• pete2112 - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM

My question is where did the kids play when they were growing up? I’m sure there must be a separate structure where diapers were changed.

10. asimonetti88 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Wow! $25 million in Arizona… that’s ridiculous! Land prices are typically actually reasonable there… this house must be extremely extravagant…

• rbts2014 - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Real estate is usually listed with well inflated asking prices hoping the seller will find a sucker to pay the inflated price.

In the end, a reasonable best offer will usually end up resulting in the completion of a transaction.

As for Randy’s house – no thanks. I don’t have enough money for any offer I would make to be accepted plus the house is way too fancy to be attractive to me.

• 22yearsagotoday - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM

When California slips into the ocean, AZ will be ocean front prime real estate (in 10,000 years).

11. goawaydog - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM

“Groin-vaulted”…. Big Unit. …. So many bad jokes to be had with that combo

12. irishlad19 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Not located in a good school district, only worth about $10 million.

13. 18thstreet - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Craig — why do you post these stories? What’s the point?

• 22yearsagotoday - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Point is Randy Johnson’s house is for sale. How can you not get that?

14. papalurchdxb - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM

It’s like an Arab’s wet dream all that disgusting decor & furniture. He should post it on a listings site in Dubai, he’ll sell it to someone here in no time at all.

• clydeserra - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Nice! not funny and racist!

minus points for only 2 pieces of dumb, not three. three is preferred.

• mazblast - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

15. APBA Guy - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Hey-I love these athlete’s house stories. These places vary so much, and we’re all looking.

• goawaydog - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM

It’s like MTV Cribs without the commercials and the volume turned off

16. gloccamorra - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:08 PM

First Kevin Towers puts his house up for sale, now Randy Johnson. What’s happening in Arizona, the state? Or is this all about the D’backs REALLY cleaning house? Or is it just about real estate, getting out while the getting is good?

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess Towers figures he’s toast, and Johnson realizes he can’t keep this monster without multi-million dollar salaries coming in to pay for upkeep.

• 22yearsagotoday - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Maybe he’s just sick of the desert and yearns for the great Pacific Northwest. Maybe not.

17. ejheim62 - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:31 PM

man, that’s the cleanest neatest garage I’ve ever seen. Wonder if he’d come clean my garage and make it look that nice.

18. moogro - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM

He was really good at baseball.

19. mazblast - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM

The house itself isn’t bad, but most of the decor is overdone and there’s too much of it. I love the theater.

As to the question of “why so much house?”, the answer is “because he could afford it”. I don’t know why he’s selling it, except that perhaps he’s decided it’s just too big for his now-retired self.

One thing you don’t have to worry about is low-overhead arches.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3110)