Aug 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
The red-hot Jacoby Ellsbury was unavailable today with an ankle injury and it showed. Drew Hutchison and Aaron Sanchez combined for a one-hit shutout in a 2-0 win over the Yankees this afternoon at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
Hutchison was dominant in the victory, facing five batters over the minimum over his seven innings of work. He struck out nine, walked two, and hit two batters. The lone hit was a double by Mark Teixeira in the fourth inning. Rookie right-hander Aaron Sanchez took over in the eighth and retired all six batters he faced with three strikeouts for his first career save.
The win moves the Blue Jays back to one game over .500 at 68-67. The loss dropped the Yankees to 70-64 on the year, putting them three games back for the second Wild Card spot in the American League.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)