Aug 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
The red-hot Jacoby Ellsbury was unavailable today with an ankle injury and it showed. Drew Hutchison and Aaron Sanchez combined for a one-hit shutout in a 2-0 win over the Yankees this afternoon at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
Hutchison was dominant in the victory, facing five batters over the minimum over his seven innings of work. He struck out nine, walked two, and hit two batters. The lone hit was a double by Mark Teixeira in the fourth inning. Rookie right-hander Aaron Sanchez took over in the eighth and retired all six batters he faced with three strikeouts for his first career save.
The win moves the Blue Jays back to one game over .500 at 68-67. The loss dropped the Yankees to 70-64 on the year, putting them three games back for the second Wild Card spot in the American League.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)