Aug 30, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to David Waldstein of the New York Times, Ellsbury is not in today’s lineup.
10:06 a.m. ET: Yankees outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury stayed hot last night by going 2-for-5 with a homer, a triple, and two RBI against the Blue Jays, but he injured his left ankle on a slide into home plate in the ninth inning.
Ellsbury hurt the ankle by sliding into the leg of catcher Dioner Navarro. He was originally ruled safe on the play, but the call was overturned on a challenge. Ellsbury had a flouroscope that came back negative on the ankle, but he was limping around after the game and Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he might not be available today.
“His ankle is sore,” Girardi said. “He hurt his ankle. I’m not sure what he’s going to be for us [Saturday]. I can’t tell you that he’s going to play. It’s frustrating because he’s playing so well. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Ellsbury has been on fire of late, hitting .455 (20-for-44) with four homers, one triple, one double, 11 RBI, and six stolen bases over his last 11 games.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)