Aug 30, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
UPDATE: According to David Waldstein of the New York Times, Ellsbury is not in today’s lineup.
10:06 a.m. ET: Yankees outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury stayed hot last night by going 2-for-5 with a homer, a triple, and two RBI against the Blue Jays, but he injured his left ankle on a slide into home plate in the ninth inning.
Ellsbury hurt the ankle by sliding into the leg of catcher Dioner Navarro. He was originally ruled safe on the play, but the call was overturned on a challenge. Ellsbury had a flouroscope that came back negative on the ankle, but he was limping around after the game and Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he might not be available today.
“His ankle is sore,” Girardi said. “He hurt his ankle. I’m not sure what he’s going to be for us [Saturday]. I can’t tell you that he’s going to play. It’s frustrating because he’s playing so well. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Ellsbury has been on fire of late, hitting .455 (20-for-44) with four homers, one triple, one double, 11 RBI, and six stolen bases over his last 11 games.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)