Aug 30, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
The Orioles announced on Twitter that the club has acquired infielder Kelly Johnson and minor league infielder Michael Almanzar from the Red Sox in exchange for minor league infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus. It’s been a busy evening for the O’s, as they acquired outfielder Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox earlier.
The O’s have an eight-game lead over the Yankees in the AL East, but will be without third baseman Manny Machado throughout September and the post-season, assuming they get there.
Johnson has had a miserable season, slashing .212/.290/.354 combined between his time with the Yankees and Red Sox. He tallied six home runs and 23 RBI as well in 252 plate appearances. Now an Oriole, Johnson will have donned the uniform of all five AL East teams. He was with the Rays last season, the Jays in the latter half of 2011 and all of 2012.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 31
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)