Aug 30, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
The Orioles announced on Twitter that the club has acquired infielder Kelly Johnson and minor league infielder Michael Almanzar from the Red Sox in exchange for minor league infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus. It’s been a busy evening for the O’s, as they acquired outfielder Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox earlier.
The O’s have an eight-game lead over the Yankees in the AL East, but will be without third baseman Manny Machado throughout September and the post-season, assuming they get there.
Johnson has had a miserable season, slashing .212/.290/.354 combined between his time with the Yankees and Red Sox. He tallied six home runs and 23 RBI as well in 252 plate appearances. Now an Oriole, Johnson will have donned the uniform of all five AL East teams. He was with the Rays last season, the Jays in the latter half of 2011 and all of 2012.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 15
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 19
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)