Aug 30, 2014, 10:46 PM EST
The Orioles announced on Twitter that the club has acquired infielder Kelly Johnson and minor league infielder Michael Almanzar from the Red Sox in exchange for minor league infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus. It’s been a busy evening for the O’s, as they acquired outfielder Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox earlier.
The O’s have an eight-game lead over the Yankees in the AL East, but will be without third baseman Manny Machado throughout September and the post-season, assuming they get there.
Johnson has had a miserable season, slashing .212/.290/.354 combined between his time with the Yankees and Red Sox. He tallied six home runs and 23 RBI as well in 252 plate appearances. Now an Oriole, Johnson will have donned the uniform of all five AL East teams. He was with the Rays last season, the Jays in the latter half of 2011 and all of 2012.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)