Aug 30, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
The Rangers have activated pitcher Derek Holland from the disabled list, Stefan Stevens of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. Holland is slated to start on Tuesday in Kansas City against the Royals. Mike Carp has been designated for assignment. Pitcher Nick Tepesch has been optioned to Triple-A Round Rock “for paperwork reasons”; he’s still scheduled to start on Wednesday. Rosters will expand on Monday. The Rangers have also recalled pitcher Robbie Ross.
Holland underwent microfracture knee surgery in January when his dog tripped him on the stairs in his home. When the lefty makes his 2014 debut, he’ll become the 60th player to play for the Rangers this season, which will set a major league record.
Carp struggled in 46 plate appearances for the Rangers after he was picked up on a waiver claim from the Red Sox on August 3. He slashed .125/.217/.125 with zero home runs and four RBI.
Aside from an ugly start against the Royals on August 23, Tepesch has shown improvement in the second half, posting a 3.72 ERA in his last six starts. It would have been odd if the Rangers had demoted him for any other reason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)