Aug 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
We still have the remainder of the 2014 season to play, but Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago hears from a source that the White Sox will target Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez in free agency this winter.
Adam Dunn‘s contract expires after this season and Paul Konerko is set to retire, so there will be an opening at the DH spot in Chicago. Cots Contracts notes that the White Sox currently have a little over $46 million in salary commitments (not counting raises in arbitration) for next season, so they could afford a big-ticket item, even though they don’t look like contenders in 2015 on the surface. The Tigers figure to make Martinez a qualifying offer at the very least, but assuming the White Sox finish with one of the 10-worst records in the majors (which they currently have), they would only have to surrender a second-round pick to sign him as opposed to a first-rounder.
Martinez turns 36 this winter, but he’s currently enjoying the best season of his 12-year major league career. He entered play this afternoon with a .328/.395/.553 batting line to go along with 26 home runs and 85 RBI and has only struck out 38 times in 522 plate appearances. Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com wrote on Twitter earlier today that Martinez could get a contract in line with Carlos Beltran‘s three-year, $45 million deal with the Yankees, but it’s easy to imagine him getting more.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)