Aug 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
We still have the remainder of the 2014 season to play, but Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago hears from a source that the White Sox will target Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez in free agency this winter.
Adam Dunn‘s contract expires after this season and Paul Konerko is set to retire, so there will be an opening at the DH spot in Chicago. Cots Contracts notes that the White Sox currently have a little over $46 million in salary commitments (not counting raises in arbitration) for next season, so they could afford a big-ticket item, even though they don’t look like contenders in 2015 on the surface. The Tigers figure to make Martinez a qualifying offer at the very least, but assuming the White Sox finish with one of the 10-worst records in the majors (which they currently have), they would only have to surrender a second-round pick to sign him as opposed to a first-rounder.
Martinez turns 36 this winter, but he’s currently enjoying the best season of his 12-year major league career. He entered play this afternoon with a .328/.395/.553 batting line to go along with 26 home runs and 85 RBI and has only struck out 38 times in 522 plate appearances. Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com wrote on Twitter earlier today that Martinez could get a contract in line with Carlos Beltran‘s three-year, $45 million deal with the Yankees, but it’s easy to imagine him getting more.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)