Aug 30, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
The Angels are beginning to create some distance in the American League West.
Weaver allowed just three hits and three walks over seven scoreless innings in the victory. He’s now tied with Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello for the American League lead with 15 wins. As for the offense, Iannetta lifted a two-run homer off Jon Lester in the fifth inning which fell out of a leaping Coco Crisp‘s glove and over the center field fence. Pujols added a solo shot for some insurance in the seventh.
The Angels now have a season-high three-game lead over the A’s, who have lost 12 out of their last 18 games. Still trying to find their footing after Garrett Richards‘ knee injury, the Angels will send Cory Rasmus to the hill tonight in what is likely to be a bullpen game. Oakland will counter with Jeff Samardzija.
Your Friday box scores:
Dodgers 2, Padres 3 (12 innings)
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)