Aug 30, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
UPDATE: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that an MRI on Pearce’s abdominal showed no tears. He’s considered day-to-day.
10:36 a.m. ET: Steve Pearce was forced to exit last night’s game against the Twins with a right abdominal strain and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that he was scheduled to undergo an MRI this morning.
Pearce initially felt the discomfort Thursday and it lingered into his first at-bat last night. While he’s confident that it’s nothing serious, he didn’t want make things worse and put himself at risk for missing the rest of the season.
“I’m not all that concerned,” Pearce said after the game. “It’s not affecting me during anything else. I’m not in pain doing [anything], even when I swing. I just feel something there, and so I just want to get ahead of it. Hopefully, I can get back and get back pretty soon.”
The injury comes at an unfortunate time for Pearce, who has been the Orioles’ most productive hitter recently. After hitting a bit of a rough patch, he’s hitting .326 (15-for-46) with five home runs and five doubles over his last 12 games. The 31-year-old owns a surprising .289/.354/.532 batting line with 16 home runs and 37 RBI over 85 games this season.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)