Aug 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirms Peter Gammons’ report that the Angels were interested in acquiring starter A.J. Burnett from the Phillies. The Angels wanted Burnett to waive his player option for 2015, currently worth $10 million and can reach $12.75 million with four more starts, ostensibly so that they can avoid the luxury tax.
Burnett is currently tied for the National League lead in losses with 14. He has a mediocre 4.30 ERA, leads the league in walks with 77, and has struck out only 157 batters in 178 innings.
However, the AL West-leading Angels lost Garrett Richards for the season after he tore the patellar tendon in his left knee a week and a half ago in Boston against the Red Sox. Pitching upgrades are hard to come by at this point in the season. Per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, Angels GM Jerry DiPoto doesn’t expect to make a move before the deadline.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)