Aug 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirms Peter Gammons’ report that the Angels were interested in acquiring starter A.J. Burnett from the Phillies. The Angels wanted Burnett to waive his player option for 2015, currently worth $10 million and can reach $12.75 million with four more starts, ostensibly so that they can avoid the luxury tax.
Burnett is currently tied for the National League lead in losses with 14. He has a mediocre 4.30 ERA, leads the league in walks with 77, and has struck out only 157 batters in 178 innings.
However, the AL West-leading Angels lost Garrett Richards for the season after he tore the patellar tendon in his left knee a week and a half ago in Boston against the Red Sox. Pitching upgrades are hard to come by at this point in the season. Per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, Angels GM Jerry DiPoto doesn’t expect to make a move before the deadline.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 1
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 30
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)