Aug 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirms Peter Gammons’ report that the Angels were interested in acquiring starter A.J. Burnett from the Phillies. The Angels wanted Burnett to waive his player option for 2015, currently worth $10 million and can reach $12.75 million with four more starts, ostensibly so that they can avoid the luxury tax.
Burnett is currently tied for the National League lead in losses with 14. He has a mediocre 4.30 ERA, leads the league in walks with 77, and has struck out only 157 batters in 178 innings.
However, the AL West-leading Angels lost Garrett Richards for the season after he tore the patellar tendon in his left knee a week and a half ago in Boston against the Red Sox. Pitching upgrades are hard to come by at this point in the season. Per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, Angels GM Jerry DiPoto doesn’t expect to make a move before the deadline.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)