Aug 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes that, since the introduction of Pitch F/X in 2006, no pitcher has ever finished a season averaging 100 MPH on his fastball. Chapman, however, currently sits with a 100.3 MPH average and could be the first to make it to the finish line with triple digits if he can keep it up for one more month.
It gets more astounding. From Sheldon:
According to BaseballSavant.com, there have been 14 Major League pitchers who have reached 100 mph this season on a combined 469 pitches. Entering Sunday, Chapman had thrown 325 of those pitches. He had thrown 767 pitches over 43 appearances, meaning 42 percent of his total pitches have been 100 mph or higher.
Not only that, but among qualified relievers, Chapman is lapping the competition in strikeout rate. His 52.1 percent K-rate is nearly 11 percent higher than that of noted flamethrower Craig Kimbrel in second place and 11.5 percent higher than Andrew Miller in third place.
Chapman, who missed the first six weeks of the season after being struck in the head with a Salvador Perez line drive late in spring training, owns a 2.44 ERA with a 87/19 K/BB ratio in 43 1/3 innings. He’s 29-for-31 in save opportunities.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)