Aug 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes that, since the introduction of Pitch F/X in 2006, no pitcher has ever finished a season averaging 100 MPH on his fastball. Chapman, however, currently sits with a 100.3 MPH average and could be the first to make it to the finish line with triple digits if he can keep it up for one more month.
It gets more astounding. From Sheldon:
According to BaseballSavant.com, there have been 14 Major League pitchers who have reached 100 mph this season on a combined 469 pitches. Entering Sunday, Chapman had thrown 325 of those pitches. He had thrown 767 pitches over 43 appearances, meaning 42 percent of his total pitches have been 100 mph or higher.
Not only that, but among qualified relievers, Chapman is lapping the competition in strikeout rate. His 52.1 percent K-rate is nearly 11 percent higher than that of noted flamethrower Craig Kimbrel in second place and 11.5 percent higher than Andrew Miller in third place.
Chapman, who missed the first six weeks of the season after being struck in the head with a Salvador Perez line drive late in spring training, owns a 2.44 ERA with a 87/19 K/BB ratio in 43 1/3 innings. He’s 29-for-31 in save opportunities.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)