Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have traded for Phillies outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. The Phillies will receive minor league third baseman Gustavo Pierre, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports. The trade comes shortly before the waiver deadline.
Mayberry, 30, is still on the disabled list with inflammation in his left wrist. He played in one game on July 13 and another on the 20th before hitting the shelf. He’s slashing .213/.304/.418 with six home runs and 21 RBI on the season.
The Phillies acquired Mayberry from the Rangers after the 2008 season in exchange for outfielder Greg Golson. He spent the last six seasons with the Phillies, experiencing a large majority of his offensive success against left-handed pitching.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)