Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
The Blue Jays have traded for Phillies outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. The Phillies will receive minor league third baseman Gustavo Pierre, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports. The trade comes shortly before the waiver deadline.
Mayberry, 30, is still on the disabled list with inflammation in his left wrist. He played in one game on July 13 and another on the 20th before hitting the shelf. He’s slashing .213/.304/.418 with six home runs and 21 RBI on the season.
The Phillies acquired Mayberry from the Rangers after the 2008 season in exchange for outfielder Greg Golson. He spent the last six seasons with the Phillies, experiencing a large majority of his offensive success against left-handed pitching.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)