Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have traded for Phillies outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. The Phillies will receive minor league third baseman Gustavo Pierre, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports. The trade comes shortly before the waiver deadline.
Mayberry, 30, is still on the disabled list with inflammation in his left wrist. He played in one game on July 13 and another on the 20th before hitting the shelf. He’s slashing .213/.304/.418 with six home runs and 21 RBI on the season.
The Phillies acquired Mayberry from the Rangers after the 2008 season in exchange for outfielder Greg Golson. He spent the last six seasons with the Phillies, experiencing a large majority of his offensive success against left-handed pitching.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)