Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have traded for Phillies outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. The Phillies will receive minor league third baseman Gustavo Pierre, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports. The trade comes shortly before the waiver deadline.
Mayberry, 30, is still on the disabled list with inflammation in his left wrist. He played in one game on July 13 and another on the 20th before hitting the shelf. He’s slashing .213/.304/.418 with six home runs and 21 RBI on the season.
The Phillies acquired Mayberry from the Rangers after the 2008 season in exchange for outfielder Greg Golson. He spent the last six seasons with the Phillies, experiencing a large majority of his offensive success against left-handed pitching.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 24
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (108)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)