Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have traded for Phillies outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. The Phillies will receive minor league third baseman Gustavo Pierre, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports. The trade comes shortly before the waiver deadline.
Mayberry, 30, is still on the disabled list with inflammation in his left wrist. He played in one game on July 13 and another on the 20th before hitting the shelf. He’s slashing .213/.304/.418 with six home runs and 21 RBI on the season.
The Phillies acquired Mayberry from the Rangers after the 2008 season in exchange for outfielder Greg Golson. He spent the last six seasons with the Phillies, experiencing a large majority of his offensive success against left-handed pitching.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)