Aug 31, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Via beat writer Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News …
No Ellsbury again Sunday (ankle). Gardner 8, Jeter DH, Prado 4, Teixeira 3, Beltran 9, Headley 5, Cervelli 2, Drew 6, Wheeler 7, McCarthy 1
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) August 31, 2014
Ellsbury was also on the bench Saturday after injuring his left ankle on a slide into home plate Friday night in Toronto. X-rays were taken and came back negative, but the 30-year-old speedster isn’t quite ready to go.
Ellsbury is batting .286/.347/.431 with 14 home runs, 64 RBI, 37 stolen bases, and 64 runs scored in 130 games this season. He signed a seven-year, $153 million contract with the Yankees over the winter.
New York is currently 3 1/2 games back of the second American League Wild Card spot.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)