Aug 31, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Via beat writer Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News …
No Ellsbury again Sunday (ankle). Gardner 8, Jeter DH, Prado 4, Teixeira 3, Beltran 9, Headley 5, Cervelli 2, Drew 6, Wheeler 7, McCarthy 1
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) August 31, 2014
Ellsbury was also on the bench Saturday after injuring his left ankle on a slide into home plate Friday night in Toronto. X-rays were taken and came back negative, but the 30-year-old speedster isn’t quite ready to go.
Ellsbury is batting .286/.347/.431 with 14 home runs, 64 RBI, 37 stolen bases, and 64 runs scored in 130 games this season. He signed a seven-year, $153 million contract with the Yankees over the winter.
New York is currently 3 1/2 games back of the second American League Wild Card spot.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 1
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 11
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)