Aug 31, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Via beat writer Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News …
No Ellsbury again Sunday (ankle). Gardner 8, Jeter DH, Prado 4, Teixeira 3, Beltran 9, Headley 5, Cervelli 2, Drew 6, Wheeler 7, McCarthy 1
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) August 31, 2014
Ellsbury was also on the bench Saturday after injuring his left ankle on a slide into home plate Friday night in Toronto. X-rays were taken and came back negative, but the 30-year-old speedster isn’t quite ready to go.
Ellsbury is batting .286/.347/.431 with 14 home runs, 64 RBI, 37 stolen bases, and 64 runs scored in 130 games this season. He signed a seven-year, $153 million contract with the Yankees over the winter.
New York is currently 3 1/2 games back of the second American League Wild Card spot.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 247
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)