Aug 31, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Via beat writer Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News …
No Ellsbury again Sunday (ankle). Gardner 8, Jeter DH, Prado 4, Teixeira 3, Beltran 9, Headley 5, Cervelli 2, Drew 6, Wheeler 7, McCarthy 1
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) August 31, 2014
Ellsbury was also on the bench Saturday after injuring his left ankle on a slide into home plate Friday night in Toronto. X-rays were taken and came back negative, but the 30-year-old speedster isn’t quite ready to go.
Ellsbury is batting .286/.347/.431 with 14 home runs, 64 RBI, 37 stolen bases, and 64 runs scored in 130 games this season. He signed a seven-year, $153 million contract with the Yankees over the winter.
New York is currently 3 1/2 games back of the second American League Wild Card spot.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)