Aug 31, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
Jay Bruce finished 0-for-3 with two strikeouts in Saturday’s loss to the Pirates and is now batting .217/.292/.369 with 130 strikeouts in 114 total games this season. He’s sporting a career-worst .661 OPS and it looks like he’ll finish with fewer than 20 home runs for the first time since breaking into the major leagues in 2008. On a related note, Cincinnati is six games below the .500 mark entering play Sunday.
Bruce opened up about his rough 2014 campaign Saturday to beat writer Mark Sheldon of MLB.com …
“It’s been miserable. It’s honestly been the most embarrassing year of my life,” Bruce said on Saturday. “But I know this isn’t me. It’s definitely humbling, not that I needed to be more humbled by anything. I feel like I’m pretty self-aware and have some humility. It’s just one of those things. You have to find a way to take some positive out of it to get better. … You just have to keep working and not give into the frustration, to the pressure, to everything that comes with struggling and not being 100 percent. I know it’s been miserable to watch for everybody. I understand it. It’s miserable for me to watch too.”
Bruce missed a chunk of time in May following arthroscopic surgery to repair torn meniscus cartilage in his right knee. And while he wouldn’t fully admit that there’s still discomfort in that joint, Bruce did tell Sheldon on Saturday that he is looking “forward to the offseason, getting home and having it get to 100 percent.”
Bruce, 27, is owed $12 million in 2015 and $12.5 million in 2106 with a $13 million club option for 2017.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15