Aug 31, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
This weekend has been a nightmare for the A’s.
They headed into Anaheim on Thursday for the start of a four-game series with the goal of recapturing the lead in the American League West standings, but runs have been difficult to come by and now the Angels enter play Sunday looking for the sweep.
Saturday’s game was especially frustrating for Oakland. Halos reliever Cory Rasmus made a spot start and seven different pitchers followed, but the A’s managed only three total hits in a 2-0 defeat. That putrid offensive performance spoiled a strong outing from Jeff Samardzija, who allowed just four hits and one earned run over eight innings.
The Angels — despite a relatively quiet trade deadline and the loss of stud starter Garrett Richards — are suddenly four games up on the A’s in the American League West with a month to go.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
Tigers 3, White Sox 6 (Game 1)
Cubs 5, Cardinals 1 (Game 1)
Indians 3, Royals 2 (11 innings)
Tigers 8, White Sox 4 (Game 2)
Cubs 2, Cardinals 13 (Game 2)
Dodgers 1, Padres 2 (10 innings)
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)