Aug 31, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
This weekend has been a nightmare for the A’s.
They headed into Anaheim on Thursday for the start of a four-game series with the goal of recapturing the lead in the American League West standings, but runs have been difficult to come by and now the Angels enter play Sunday looking for the sweep.
Saturday’s game was especially frustrating for Oakland. Halos reliever Cory Rasmus made a spot start and seven different pitchers followed, but the A’s managed only three total hits in a 2-0 defeat. That putrid offensive performance spoiled a strong outing from Jeff Samardzija, who allowed just four hits and one earned run over eight innings.
The Angels — despite a relatively quiet trade deadline and the loss of stud starter Garrett Richards — are suddenly four games up on the A’s in the American League West with a month to go.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
Tigers 3, White Sox 6 (Game 1)
Cubs 5, Cardinals 1 (Game 1)
Indians 3, Royals 2 (11 innings)
Tigers 8, White Sox 4 (Game 2)
Cubs 2, Cardinals 13 (Game 2)
Dodgers 1, Padres 2 (10 innings)
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)