Aug 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Brewers attempted to trade with the Rays to acquire ace David Price, but talks broke down because they were unwilling to part with pitcher Jimmy Nelson. Price, of course, wound up being traded to the Tigers in a three-team trade that also involved the Mariners.
Since joining the Tigers, Price has posted a 4.41 ERA with a 35/7 K/BB ratio in 32 2/3 innings across five starts. In his last start, Price failed to record an out in the third inning after the Yankees strung together nine consecutive hits.
Nelson, 25, made a spot start for the Brewers in late May, then joined the rotation in mid-July, just ahead of the All-Star break. In nine starts, Nelson has a 4.10 ERA with a 45/15 K/BB ratio in 52 2/3 innings. The right-hander was rated a top-100 overall prospect entering the season by both MLB.com and Baseball America, according to Baseball Reference.
The Brewers entered Sunday’s action clinging to a one-game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)