Sep 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal has a story up about Manny Ramirez’s summer in Iowa, where the Cubs employed him as a once-a-week player but, in reality, a second hitting coach for some of the organization’s top hitting prospects like Javier Baez, Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler. It was a productive and eye-opening summer. Here’s a story about Manny reporting back to Theo Epstein about the Cubs’ minor leaguers:
Ramirez, speaking on the phone to Epstein, broke down every player on the Iowa roster, giving detailed, sophisticated assessments of not only their skills but also their personalities.
Epstein found the conversation so impressive and surprising that he left his office immediately after getting off the phone with Ramirez and walked down the hall to visit with other Cubs executives.
He had to repeat the conversation verbatim to his colleagues to make sure that it had really happened.
There are other stories in there too which show that, a few years after his multiple drug suspensions and various jackwagony acts, he’s a new, far more mature man than he used to be.
Manny wants to play in the bigs again. That’s not going to happen. He says he hasn’t thought about a full-time coaching career. Based on what Rosenthal reports here, that could very easily happen if Manny wants it to be.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)