Sep 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal has a story up about Manny Ramirez’s summer in Iowa, where the Cubs employed him as a once-a-week player but, in reality, a second hitting coach for some of the organization’s top hitting prospects like Javier Baez, Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler. It was a productive and eye-opening summer. Here’s a story about Manny reporting back to Theo Epstein about the Cubs’ minor leaguers:
Ramirez, speaking on the phone to Epstein, broke down every player on the Iowa roster, giving detailed, sophisticated assessments of not only their skills but also their personalities.
Epstein found the conversation so impressive and surprising that he left his office immediately after getting off the phone with Ramirez and walked down the hall to visit with other Cubs executives.
He had to repeat the conversation verbatim to his colleagues to make sure that it had really happened.
There are other stories in there too which show that, a few years after his multiple drug suspensions and various jackwagony acts, he’s a new, far more mature man than he used to be.
Manny wants to play in the bigs again. That’s not going to happen. He says he hasn’t thought about a full-time coaching career. Based on what Rosenthal reports here, that could very easily happen if Manny wants it to be.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)