Sep 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal has a story up about Manny Ramirez’s summer in Iowa, where the Cubs employed him as a once-a-week player but, in reality, a second hitting coach for some of the organization’s top hitting prospects like Javier Baez, Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler. It was a productive and eye-opening summer. Here’s a story about Manny reporting back to Theo Epstein about the Cubs’ minor leaguers:
Ramirez, speaking on the phone to Epstein, broke down every player on the Iowa roster, giving detailed, sophisticated assessments of not only their skills but also their personalities.
Epstein found the conversation so impressive and surprising that he left his office immediately after getting off the phone with Ramirez and walked down the hall to visit with other Cubs executives.
He had to repeat the conversation verbatim to his colleagues to make sure that it had really happened.
There are other stories in there too which show that, a few years after his multiple drug suspensions and various jackwagony acts, he’s a new, far more mature man than he used to be.
Manny wants to play in the bigs again. That’s not going to happen. He says he hasn’t thought about a full-time coaching career. Based on what Rosenthal reports here, that could very easily happen if Manny wants it to be.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)