Sep 1, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
Four Phillies pitchers combined to no-hit the Braves in Atlanta today. Tt was the 12th no-hitter in franchise history. And the first ever combined no-no for Philly.
Cole Hamels took the first six innings, Jake Diekman Ken Giles and Jonathan Papelbon handled the seventh, eighth and ninth, respectively. Hamels pitched in some early trouble, walking five guys, but the Braves stranded a lot of runners and never threatened. The relievers shut the Braves down completely, retiring the final nine batters of the game in order. Overall, Phillies pitchers struck out 12 Braves hitters.
Despite it being a 7-0 game heading into the bottom of the ninth, Ryne Sandberg called on Papelbon to lock things down. Can’t say as I blame him. This has been a lost season in so many ways for the Phillies and, recently, there has been some internal strife on the team. Why not do your best to give everyone something to be happy about?
And the Phillies leave the ballpark happy, today. Five RBI for Ben Revere, a no-hitter against a division rival and a 7-0 victory. A happy Labor Day for Philly, indeed.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)