Video: Bob Melvin calls the Athletics’ play “Embarrassing. Pathetic.”

Sep 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

The Angels swept the Athletics and took a five-game lead in the AL West. Quite a fall for the A’s who, until quite recently, were the best team in baseball. What say you, Bob Melvin?

For those who can’t watch the video:

What can you say? It was embarrassing. Pathetic. We don’t play like that. The last three games here are the worst I’ve seen this team play in… I can’t remember how long. I feel bad for our fans to have to watch that . . . The reason I’m upset is because that’s not who we are. That’s not who we’ve been for three years. And for the last… I don’t know how long, it’s mounted. It’s been frustrating. But that last three games for us is just not who we are. At all. And it’s embarrassing. They all should be embarrassed.

I’m done. Thank you.

The A’s went scoreless for 29 straight innings at one point. In a series that lasted 37 total innings. Yeah, not a great weekend.

1. rawdog2013 - Sep 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Couldn’t agree more. I had to walk away from my TV at points….like when Sogard was making one of his many errors.

Bob seems like a level-headed guy most of the time. For him to come out and blast his team is pretty freaking serious and tells you how bad this series was for the A’s.

• digg2000 - Sep 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Sogard is all around awful. He’s a .200-hitting gimmick. Him still being around just shows, again, the state of the farm system.

2. jdubfla - Sep 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM

You mean…When your team plays like crap and falls 5 games under 500 again you don’t walk around telling them how great they are and that they are the best team in baseball and that the playoffs are still in the future? Like a senile old uncle?….So THATS what a Real Manager does…

3. bigmeechy74 - Sep 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I like the A’s and I always root for them in the playoffs but for some reason I think this collapse is kinda funny. Probably because after those trades everyone said “The genius Billy Beane does it again!” I thought both trades were awful

4. jonathan032 - Sep 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

He hit the nail in the head, it’s extremely frustrating as a fan to watch a team who went from having the best team in baseball and being World Series favorite by a mile to playing with a sub 500 record in the last 50 + games. Glad he had the meeting too, they need to all get on the same page and figure out a way to work past this. We are going to need a crazy august, need to be within striking distance on the angels when they come back at the end of the month

5. pisano - Sep 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I don’t understand what happened to this team, two months ago I thought they’d be a good shot to get into the World Series, and then they add two good pitchers from the Cubs, so I’m thinking series champs, but here we are and this collapse, go figure.

• hcf95688 - Sep 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Pretty easy to understand, actually.

Injuries to: Crisp, Gentry, Jaso, Vogt, and Lowrie. To a lesser extent, Doolittle, Banks and Punto. I’m also not convinced that Moss and Norris aren’t hurt as well.

Coco Crisp is the straw that stirs Oakland’s drink. He’s had a neck injury for most of the season and has missed a lot of time. Gentry is a callable fill in for Crsip, when he was DL’d the team had to go out and get Sam Fuld. Jaso is an on base machine who is greatly missed. Vogt’s foot injury limits him to playing 1B or DH. Kyle Banks was on his way to a career year until a leg injury apparently ended his season.

The biggest blow to the A’s though? Without Lowrie and Punto (who is no great shakes himself), the team is forced to play Sogard at shortstop (a terrible defensive option who cannot hit a lick) and Callaspo at 2B, who may be be the slowest middle infielder since Carlos Baerga.

6. sjsharksfan11 - Sep 1, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I’m loving this. The law of averages has hit the Chokeland Pathetics shooting them I to a tailspin. Bums like Vogt have played well over their head. Time to hit rock bottom with the leaky sewage of the Coliseum!

• hcf95688 - Sep 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM

It reminds me of what happens in the south bay during the NHL playoffs.

7. Jen Rainwater - Sep 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Reblogged this on Bullpen, Baseball & Sock Talk.

8. moogro - Sep 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Wow, Kazmir. They’re in trouble.

9. echech88 - Sep 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM

This might just be a big dose of regression to the mean. Lot of guys were overachieving (No, Scott Kazmit is actually not a Cy Young calibur pitcher) seemingly at the same time and are now coming back down to Earth at the same time.

They still have the starting staff to get them into the postseason and do some damage (Cardinals backed into the postseason and won the whole thing) but I think people can stop calling them the best team in baseball. I’m not sure there is a clear cut favorite in either league anymore.

10. zdravit - Sep 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Hey, at least they didn’t give away their best prospect just to get more pitching depth they didn’t need.

11. crackersnap - Sep 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Hey, Melvin, how about THIS? You put up your “Big 4″ and, except for Kazmir, they pitched well. Your defense made some highlight plays and made what, only 1 or 2 more errors than the Angels across 4 full games?

How about showing some class and tipping your cap to the Angels for playing so great and whupping your butt? Or are you just now figuring out that you were a bonehead for getting out-managed by a guy who went into battle against Samardzija without a starting pitcher of his own and conned you into pulling Reddick early, a move which then allowed the Angels to run on your noodle-armed outfield with impunity??

This was the Angels taking you to the woodshed, not a case of you falling down the stairs.

12. mj1115 - Sep 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM

If the Angels just go +2 .500, 15-11, in their last 26 games, which is lower than their current winning %, then Oak has to go 20-5 to win Div. Not happening, Angels Sept schedule is fairly soft. Need to focus now on beating Seattle as many times as possible and keeping them out of Wild Card to avoid facing King Felix in 1-game playoff.

• jdillydawg - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM

The way Felix has pitched lately, I think I would actually start Iwakuma at this point.

That said, Cespedes was the heart of the A’s. I just don’t get how you trade the heart of your team away and expect to still play with…well, heart.

Cespedes wasn’t just a bat for those guys, he was way more, and Billy seemed to have missed all that in his metrics.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5635)