Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EST
Finally a sports legend’s house that isn’t filled with gaudy and ornate furniture in room after room you know no one ever used. Finally a sports legend’s house that most of us can actually afford.
Although, being honest, I think most of us may pass on this one and continue to search for our formerly-owned-by-a-sports-legend-dream house. Our Jon Voight’s Chrysler LeBaron, as it were:
Ernie Harwell, a legendary sportscaster for the Detroit Tigers for 42 years, passed away in 2010. Apparently he also used to be a resident of the Grandmont/Rosedale area, and now you can buy a home he used to live in for $38,500. It is a two bedroom with just over 1,000 square feet.
It’s a foreclosure (details and more pics here). And I’m pretty certain that Harwell didn’t live there for a long, long time before his death in 2010. It’s actually less than a mile from the house my grandmother lived in until she died in the late 80s, in more or less the same neighborhood. My grandmother was a weird holdout, though. For the most part, people who lived in that part of Detroit started to leave following the riots in 1967 and were more or less gone by the end of the 70s. Harwell was said to live in Farmington Hills later in his life.
Anyway: roof looks new!
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)