Sep 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Among the Giants’ call-ups for September 1 roster expansion is 27-year-old right-hander Brett Bochy, who in addition to being a Triple-A reliever also happens to be manager Bruce Bochy’s son.
Brett Bochy was a 20th-round draft pick in 2010 out of the University of Kansas and has never been considered a prospect. And based on his performance–both this season and in past seasons–it’s hard not to conclude that his getting a chance to play in the big leagues isn’t at least somewhat due to nepotism.
He’s not totally without potential, but this season Brett Bochy had a 3.83 ERA at Triple-A while allowing 80 baserunners in 54 innings and overall in two seasons at Triple-A he has a 3.92 ERA with rates of 8.5 strikeouts and 3.5 walks per nine innings. Not terrible but also not great, and for a 27-year-old Triple-A reliever not the type of performance that usually leads to the majors.
Fantastic moment for Brett Bochy, Bruce Bochy, and their family. Perhaps not such a fantastic moment for the other good but not great pitchers in the upper levels of the Giants’ minor league system.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 27
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)