Sep 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Among the Giants’ call-ups for September 1 roster expansion is 27-year-old right-hander Brett Bochy, who in addition to being a Triple-A reliever also happens to be manager Bruce Bochy’s son.
Brett Bochy was a 20th-round draft pick in 2010 out of the University of Kansas and has never been considered a prospect. And based on his performance–both this season and in past seasons–it’s hard not to conclude that his getting a chance to play in the big leagues isn’t at least somewhat due to nepotism.
He’s not totally without potential, but this season Brett Bochy had a 3.83 ERA at Triple-A while allowing 80 baserunners in 54 innings and overall in two seasons at Triple-A he has a 3.92 ERA with rates of 8.5 strikeouts and 3.5 walks per nine innings. Not terrible but also not great, and for a 27-year-old Triple-A reliever not the type of performance that usually leads to the majors.
Fantastic moment for Brett Bochy, Bruce Bochy, and their family. Perhaps not such a fantastic moment for the other good but not great pitchers in the upper levels of the Giants’ minor league system.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 22
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)