Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals

Sep 2, 2014, 5:40 PM EST

Michael Wacha Getty Getty Images

Michael Wacha‘s recovery from a shoulder injury has gone so well that the Cardinals just announced he’ll come off the disabled list to start Thursday against the Brewers.

Wacha made just one minor-league rehab start, throwing 34 pitches Sunday at Double-A, so he’ll be on a pitch count limit the first time out and will have to build back his arm strength in the majors.

Wacha last started for the Cardinals on June 17. He had a 2.79 ERA in 15 starts before being shut down, giving the 23-year-old right-hander a 2.78 ERA in 155 innings since debuting last season.

And now he’ll return to kick off a four-game battle for first place in Milwaukee.

1. howieK - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:44 PM

WHOOOOOOoOOOOOOOooooOOOOOO!!!!

2. montrealknowledge - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Very needed, Cards are awful in the road, can’t believe they are going to make the playoffs. Do not know how they will win a series though. I love that the Cards will at least give me yet another full season of important baseball though.

3. SocraticGadfly - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Predicted yesterday and good to see. Now, per comments on another thread, bury Masterson in Al Capone’s vault or whatever is needed.

4. chrisernst82 - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Awesome! Anyone taking Mastersons spot is nice, but Wacha taking it is even better.

5. SocraticGadfly - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM

That all said, Waino’s “dead arm” complaint is looking ever more true, after giving up three taters tonight.

• perryt200 - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Perhaps that, or just an argument to get rid of the DH.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM

All things considered, I thought Waino pitched really well. Yeoman’s work. Pitched (7) innings didn’t he? Or am I wrong on that? Admittedly, was pounding beer and following on my mlb at bat app as I am force fed Redlegs baseball being from Central Indiana (blacked out on FSMW).
      But I thought he looked good. Again…considering the issues with his arm. Dude seemed to battle.

• perryt200 - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

You are kinda wrong. Pitched into the 7th, gave up 2 runs with no outs and they brought in Maness after that.

• SocraticGadfly - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

As noted, the “battling” included surrendering three dingers. He’s just lucky all were solo shots.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I agree about the home runs. But for a guy to have a “dead arm” and pitch 6+ innings is damned impressive in my book.

• ud1951 - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Waino is not an ace when he’s struggling with dead arm, but he is still better than most other teams’ fourth or fifth starters despite the dead arm. He’s kept his team in every game he pitched despite the dead arm.

6. cincinata - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

IF Wacha can do well Thursday, I think I may have to give them a good chance for the central. I think this shows the desperation of the cards staff. They need someone, and the best they can do is to throw a young injured guy in a must win situation. The first game in Milwaukee is bigger than big. I don’t wish to see any young guy to be hurt, but this is a big gamble for the cards. If he has some arm problems, he is probably out for the rest of the year. Who knows, he may even need some surgery, as did Homer Bailey here. We won’t know until Thursday night.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester