Sep 2, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Hall of Fame executive Pat Gillick is serving as the Phillies’ interim president and CEO while David Montgomery recovers from surgery for jaw cancer and chatted with reporters at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday for the first time since assuming the gig.
Mike Stiles, the Phillies’ senior vice president for administration and operations, is technically running day-to-day operations in Montgomery’s absence, but Gillick presumably spoke for the entire organization when he said Tuesday that general manager Ruben Amaro and manager Ryne Sandberg will both be retained for the 2015 season.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer has more from Gillick’s chat …
He does not anticipate sweeping changes, and reaffirmed the status of both Ruben Amaro Jr. and Ryne Sandberg for 2015. They “absolutely” will stay in their current positions, Gillick said.
“They’re under contract,” Gillick said. “Ruben is under contract through ’15 and Ryne’s under contract. … So right now there’s no thought whatsoever of replacing either one.”
The Phillies are in last place in the National League standings with a record of 63-74 and will miss the playoffs for the third straight season. They also had an oddly-quiet trade deadline. But the band marches on.
More from CSNPhilly.com: The Phillies according to Pat Gillick
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)