Sep 2, 2014, 10:32 PM EST
Hall of Fame executive Pat Gillick is serving as the Phillies’ interim president and CEO while David Montgomery recovers from surgery for jaw cancer and chatted with reporters at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday for the first time since assuming the gig.
Mike Stiles, the Phillies’ senior vice president for administration and operations, is technically running day-to-day operations in Montgomery’s absence, but Gillick presumably spoke for the entire organization when he said Tuesday that general manager Ruben Amaro and manager Ryne Sandberg will both be retained for the 2015 season.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer has more from Gillick’s chat …
He does not anticipate sweeping changes, and reaffirmed the status of both Ruben Amaro Jr. and Ryne Sandberg for 2015. They “absolutely” will stay in their current positions, Gillick said.
“They’re under contract,” Gillick said. “Ruben is under contract through ’15 and Ryne’s under contract. … So right now there’s no thought whatsoever of replacing either one.”
The Phillies are in last place in the National League standings with a record of 63-74 and will miss the playoffs for the third straight season. They also had an oddly-quiet trade deadline. But the band marches on.
More from CSNPhilly.com: The Phillies according to Pat Gillick
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)