Video: Giancarlo Stanton notches 35th HR, 100th RBI

Sep 2, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton picked up his 35th home run of the season and 100th and 101st RBI with this blast to left-center field in the bottom of the third inning Tuesday night in Miami …

If the National League MVP goes to a position player — and not Clayton Kershaw — it should go to Stanton.

1. doctortyler - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Man, why couldn’t the Phillies have emptied the house for this guy instead of Pence? Ah well, they’d still suck anyway.

• Old Gator - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Feesh lost anyway, including stranding the Iron Giant at second after a leadoff double. Anyone who loves lots of awful baseball played by two mediocre teams really got their money’s worth tonight. More in the morning under ATH.

• historiophiliac - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

That thing is hideous!

2. dannymac17 - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:12 AM

This is one of the only times where giving the MVP to a pitcher is actually well deserved. Stanton has been boss. But Kershaw is putting up a Pedro monster season.

• dannymac17 - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:29 AM

After reading my comment again, I feel I should elaborate. I know everyone wants to put a fuss about missing a bunch of games hes that good. But when you look at it, we might be witnessing one of the greatest pitching performances coming off a cy young and a monster contract. Where are the negative nancys that rank other players for not producing when they got their contract? I heard some Kersh negativity after that monster contract. This guy is the real deal and we’re watching greatness. He was even hitting tonight. Running bases. Making it look like fun. Stanton hits a 2 run shot. Okay. If Kershaw is only good every 5 days, Stanton is only pedestrian with a sub .300 avg. I love Stanton. But the proof is in the pudding.

• dan1111 - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Stanton is hitting .293/.401/.561. Calling his average “pedestrian” with those on base and power numbers is pretty ludicrous. How can the best hitter in the league be pedestrian?

That said, I don’t disagree about Kershaw’s monster season. He is leading the NL in WAR by a significant margin.

• stex52 - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Kershaw is great. Your “pedestrian” comment shows either some serious homerism or a real ignorance of baseball.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Forget your WAR stat, the EYE stat is killer. Watching him pitch is spectacular.

I bet the Dodgers are glad he’s performing to that contract they gave him.

• dannymac17 - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM

You obviously cant read. I said if Kershaw is only good every 5 days, Stantons numbers are pedestrian at sub .300 in the sense thats the way they treat Kershaws position in the big scope of the MVP

3. joeflaccosunibrow - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I bet the Marlins are drooling over the potential haul they will get for this guy.

Yet another WS run for the Giants