We miss you, A-Rod. More than you can ever know. Sincerely, the media

Sep 2, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

Meanwhile, in New York:

Actually, not that hard to wrap my head around at all. There are now several more Yankees players on the team thanks to expanded rosters and the space in the Yankees clubhouse, however copious, is finite. That and the fact that A-Rod’s locker is not some ancient Indian burial ground upon which no one dare tread. Probably.

I guess this is just a preview for next year when someone gets Jeter’s locker. Unless of course it is called up and out of this world in some sort of rapture situation come the first of October.

1. historiophiliac - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I say 5 comments before we get one about leftover needles in there.

• Bob Loblaw - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I say 1. Bingo!! I win.

• buffalochris - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Damn, you beat me to it LOL. Just an oblivious comment by a troll. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to laugh at you!

• historiophiliac - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM

As usual, Bob, you miss the point. I did not suggest that there were needles in A-Rod’s locker. Get it? I was making fun of the trolly yahoos who like to say things like that. I’d say I’m glad to be proven wrong about the commenters here, but it’s likely this exchange headed off those kinds of comments (and if so, I succeeded!). But, I appreciate your “smeller is the feller” effort there. I think you smartly played to the fan base and got as close to clever as you’re probably going to get. Have a nice night.

• brewcrewchamps - Sep 3, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Pretty silly thing to get upset at someone for making a “stupid comment” in response to your stupid comment. One of the two was at least witty, and it wasn’t yours, so stop being a grumpy bastard.

• nbjays - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM

That’s likely the first time Historio has been referred to as a “grumpy bastard” around here. I’m sure she finds it a refreshing change. :-)

• Bob Loblaw - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yeah, because playing to the fan base of HBT is what Bob Loblaw’s all about.

What happened was that you set up the hitting tee and put a big fat softball on it. All I had to do was be the first one to read what you wrote and comment on it. Had it not been me, there were at least 60 others who would have written the same thing.

• jimmyt - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM

A-Rod or Jeters locker? Or do you mean both?

2. chrisernst82 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM

As internet readers we sincerely do not miss him even one bit. And yes i do speak for everybody on this, we had a meeting and i was chose to relay this message to HBT.

• rbj1 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Not for me you don’t.

• jwbiii - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Who is “we,” Kimo Sabe?

• chrisernst82 - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Sorry i forgot to say all of “us” who understand sarcasm.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM

So you’re saying that everyone is hoping for Arod’s return?

3. jtorrey13 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Craig, Jeter is too much of a team player not to let someone else use his locker. In fact, he built three more lockers this year out of sturdy oak and accented with the finest brass. Then he placed a scented candle in each with the scents of almond and honeysuckle to convey the wish for achieving goals and success for the next user. When did selfish Arod ever do this?

Jeter is a true Yankee candle representative. Order now!

• raysfan1 - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

The obvious rejoinder is to ask if he puts Yankee Candles in his gift baskets.

• racksie - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:28 AM

And the lockers were made from the splintered remnants of his headboard.

4. gibbskins9 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Arod go away and stay away

5. larrymahnken - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I just realized that the Yankees probably aren’t going to give anyone Jeter’s locker next year.

• infieldhit - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’m sure they’ll give away Rivera’s locker if they haven’t already. Their jerseys are unofficially retired at this point (well, 42 is, regardless), no need to go overboard with everything else. It’s not like they died.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM

The Yankees retired 42 for Rivera September 22, 2013. Wake up and smell some New York coffee bro.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM

42 was already retired in ’97…

• infieldhit - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I didn’t realize they’d already retired Rivera’s, but my point still stands.

• johnnysoda - Sep 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

The only locker that wasn’t given away was Thurman Munson, and that was because he died.

Unless Jeter is raptured to be seated at the right hand of God after the season finale, I don’t think he’s going anywhere any time soon.

6. miguelcairo - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Anyone think it’d be that improbable for Rodriguez to come back next year and hit something like .270/22-25HR’s/80?

• pisano - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Not in this lifetime.

• gloccamorra - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

That’s the big question, isn’t it? If A-Rod did the smart thing this year, get treatment for his ailments and rehab to get back into physical shape, he has the talent to hit that well. The Yankees aren’t going to eat that $61 million left without trying to get a couple years of decent performance out of him, and it’s his last chance to go out on a high note.

I’m guessing his ego will drive him to try to finish his career on a high note. He’ll probably be tested weekly, and if he can put up decent numbers for the next three years without chemical help, he’ll put the HOF voters in a quandary.

• SocraticGadfly - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’ll give you 50-50 on the BA and HRs. If the 80 is RBIs, I’ll take the under for sure.

• infieldhit - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Maybe it’s games suspended.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:45 AM

If he is finally healthy, I think 270/28-33/100 for him.

• shadowshand - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Put down the crack pipe.

7. bmadormo - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Miguel
    Don’t think AROD’S body can ever allow him to hit anywhere close to that. Bad hips and all he has endured has ended many other players careers a lot younger than Alex

8. SocraticGadfly - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Dear A-Rod: Craig Calcaterra misses you so much he’s sending you red velvet funnel cake to turn you into a Cleveland zombie. Have fun! Enjoy!

9. yankeesfanlen - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Leave ARod Alone!

10. Carl Hancock - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM

They should haven given him A-ROD’s jersey number too LOL

11. smoothaswilkes - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Craig, how dare you! Jeter’s locker will be playing shortstop for the Yankees next year. Heck most Yankee fans probably won’t be able to notice the difference as the locker will sport the same name and number. Derek Jeter’s locker will be the new face of baseball, cause it’s dying and all. Baseball not Derek Jeter’s locker.

• nbjays - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM

And the expanded range at SS will propel them to the postseason.

12. pbastille - Sep 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Jeter’s locker is the blue one. Looks a bit like a British policeman’s box.

• SocraticGadfly - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Jeter is Dr. Who?

• nbjays - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM

No, Dr. Who’s on first…

• SocraticGadfly - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM

And, I sure as hell don’t know what’s at SS!

13. joestemme - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Fuc@ A-Roid and those in the media who miss him.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3718)