Sep 3, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
On Sunday, new Athletics slugger Adam Dunn told reporters that the 2014 season “was probably going to be it“. He had yet to play in a game with his new team. Dunn homered in his first at-bat as an Athletic, finishing 2-for-4 with three runs scored on Monday. On Tuesday, he singled in a run as a pinch-hitter.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Dunn has apparently had a change of heart:
Dunn on retirement: “Obviously, things have changed now. I owe it to myself to put that on the back burner for at least a couple months.”
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) September 3, 2014
Dunn homered again in a losing effort against Mariners ace and AL Cy Young candidate Felix Hernandez this afternoon. He is now 38 home runs shy of 500 for his career, a milestone only 26 players in baseball history have achieved. If he can hit another 4-5 home runs, he can make it achievable in 2015 with a strong season, or chip enough of it away that he can play in 2016 and achieve it. But who knows how important that is to him.
This season, the 34-year-old has 21 home runs, 57 RBI, and a .226/.345/.444 slash line. Though a veteran of 14 seasons, Dunn has never played in a post-season game.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)