Sep 3, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
On Sunday, new Athletics slugger Adam Dunn told reporters that the 2014 season “was probably going to be it“. He had yet to play in a game with his new team. Dunn homered in his first at-bat as an Athletic, finishing 2-for-4 with three runs scored on Monday. On Tuesday, he singled in a run as a pinch-hitter.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Dunn has apparently had a change of heart:
Dunn on retirement: “Obviously, things have changed now. I owe it to myself to put that on the back burner for at least a couple months.”
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) September 3, 2014
Dunn homered again in a losing effort against Mariners ace and AL Cy Young candidate Felix Hernandez this afternoon. He is now 38 home runs shy of 500 for his career, a milestone only 26 players in baseball history have achieved. If he can hit another 4-5 home runs, he can make it achievable in 2015 with a strong season, or chip enough of it away that he can play in 2016 and achieve it. But who knows how important that is to him.
This season, the 34-year-old has 21 home runs, 57 RBI, and a .226/.345/.444 slash line. Though a veteran of 14 seasons, Dunn has never played in a post-season game.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)