Sep 3, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
On Sunday, new Athletics slugger Adam Dunn told reporters that the 2014 season “was probably going to be it“. He had yet to play in a game with his new team. Dunn homered in his first at-bat as an Athletic, finishing 2-for-4 with three runs scored on Monday. On Tuesday, he singled in a run as a pinch-hitter.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Dunn has apparently had a change of heart:
Dunn on retirement: “Obviously, things have changed now. I owe it to myself to put that on the back burner for at least a couple months.”
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) September 3, 2014
Dunn homered again in a losing effort against Mariners ace and AL Cy Young candidate Felix Hernandez this afternoon. He is now 38 home runs shy of 500 for his career, a milestone only 26 players in baseball history have achieved. If he can hit another 4-5 home runs, he can make it achievable in 2015 with a strong season, or chip enough of it away that he can play in 2016 and achieve it. But who knows how important that is to him.
This season, the 34-year-old has 21 home runs, 57 RBI, and a .226/.345/.444 slash line. Though a veteran of 14 seasons, Dunn has never played in a post-season game.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)