Sep 3, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
Marc Carig of Newsday notes — as some others have noted in the past two days — that Craig Biggio could be a top candidate to become the next Astros manager. He talks to one of Biggio’s former managers, Terry Collins, about Biggio’s chances to do well in the job. Not surprisingly, Collins thinks he’d be a fantastic choice.
Biggio’s lack of coaching or managing experience would not, in this day and age, be unprecedented of course. Brad Ausmus, Mike Matheny and host of other former players have recently taken skipper positions with little or, in some cases, no coaching or managing experience at all. It would be a bit odd in this particular situation in that, for the most part, the relatively inexperienced guys have taken over teams either laden with veterans or already strongly in contention. The Astros certainly aren’t that and, one would think, could still use someone who can be a teacher too. But really, given how much say front offices — especially Houston’s front office — have in day-to-day decisions, one wonders if clubs even care all that much about it anymore.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)