Sep 3, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
Marc Carig of Newsday notes — as some others have noted in the past two days — that Craig Biggio could be a top candidate to become the next Astros manager. He talks to one of Biggio’s former managers, Terry Collins, about Biggio’s chances to do well in the job. Not surprisingly, Collins thinks he’d be a fantastic choice.
Biggio’s lack of coaching or managing experience would not, in this day and age, be unprecedented of course. Brad Ausmus, Mike Matheny and host of other former players have recently taken skipper positions with little or, in some cases, no coaching or managing experience at all. It would be a bit odd in this particular situation in that, for the most part, the relatively inexperienced guys have taken over teams either laden with veterans or already strongly in contention. The Astros certainly aren’t that and, one would think, could still use someone who can be a teacher too. But really, given how much say front offices — especially Houston’s front office — have in day-to-day decisions, one wonders if clubs even care all that much about it anymore.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 50
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)