Sep 3, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
When Jackie Bradley, Jr. started to draw a lot of notice, he was lauded to great degree for his attitude and work ethic. Indeed, some scribes got rather prickly if anyone dared to criticize Bradley or suggest that, maybe, he wasn’t ready to play every day in Boston.
This year his offensive performance was a big problem for the Sox, and he was eventually sent down to Pawtucket. But Joon Lee of Over the Monster reports that it may have been more than his lack of hitting that earned him a stint in the minors:
According to two league sources, there was a growing sense of frustration within the Red Sox clubhouse — both coaches and players — with Bradley due to his perceived “stubbornness with the coaching staff.” One source added that Bradley was unwilling to work with coaches to fix his swing. Both sources said Bradley’s attitude was one of the main reasons he was sent to the minors.
Did Bradley become frustrated as a result of his struggles? Or is it possible that the enthusiasm some had for him last year was premature?
Hard to say from the outside, of course. But one thing is certain: with Mookie Betts emerging and Rusney Castillo now in the organization, it could be a crowded center field situation in Boston and Bradley can’t afford to have anything else working against him at the moment.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 1
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 59
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 47
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)