Sep 3, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The news comes from the MLB Public Relations Twitter. Matt Shoemaker and Madison Bumgarner won Pitcher of the Month honors for August, while Shoemaker and Kyle Hendricks won Rookie of the Month honors.
Martinez put together a .350/.442/.547 slash line with six home runs and 30 RBI in August. On August 27, the 35-year-old hit a home run against Yankees starter Shane Greene. It was his 26th of the season, setting a new career-high mark in his 12-year career, besting the 25 he hit as a 28-year-old in 2007 with the Indians.
Harrison posted a .347/.374/.602 slash line with four home runs, nine RBI, and four stolen bases. The Pirates went 14-14 in August, partially due to losing reigning NL MVP Andrew McCutchen for 14 games between the 4th and 19th, so it would have been much worse without their speedy utility man. Harrison is now manning third base on an everyday basis in place of the struggling Pedro Alvarez.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)