Sep 3, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The news comes from the MLB Public Relations Twitter. Matt Shoemaker and Madison Bumgarner won Pitcher of the Month honors for August, while Shoemaker and Kyle Hendricks won Rookie of the Month honors.
Martinez put together a .350/.442/.547 slash line with six home runs and 30 RBI in August. On August 27, the 35-year-old hit a home run against Yankees starter Shane Greene. It was his 26th of the season, setting a new career-high mark in his 12-year career, besting the 25 he hit as a 28-year-old in 2007 with the Indians.
Harrison posted a .347/.374/.602 slash line with four home runs, nine RBI, and four stolen bases. The Pirates went 14-14 in August, partially due to losing reigning NL MVP Andrew McCutchen for 14 games between the 4th and 19th, so it would have been much worse without their speedy utility man. Harrison is now manning third base on an everyday basis in place of the struggling Pedro Alvarez.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)