Sep 3, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The news comes from the MLB Public Relations Twitter. Matt Shoemaker and Madison Bumgarner won Pitcher of the Month honors for August, while Shoemaker and Kyle Hendricks won Rookie of the Month honors.
Martinez put together a .350/.442/.547 slash line with six home runs and 30 RBI in August. On August 27, the 35-year-old hit a home run against Yankees starter Shane Greene. It was his 26th of the season, setting a new career-high mark in his 12-year career, besting the 25 he hit as a 28-year-old in 2007 with the Indians.
Harrison posted a .347/.374/.602 slash line with four home runs, nine RBI, and four stolen bases. The Pirates went 14-14 in August, partially due to losing reigning NL MVP Andrew McCutchen for 14 games between the 4th and 19th, so it would have been much worse without their speedy utility man. Harrison is now manning third base on an everyday basis in place of the struggling Pedro Alvarez.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)