Sep 3, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
The news comes from the MLB Public Relations Twitter. Matt Shoemaker and Madison Bumgarner won Pitcher of the Month honors for August, while Shoemaker and Kyle Hendricks won Rookie of the Month honors.
Martinez put together a .350/.442/.547 slash line with six home runs and 30 RBI in August. On August 27, the 35-year-old hit a home run against Yankees starter Shane Greene. It was his 26th of the season, setting a new career-high mark in his 12-year career, besting the 25 he hit as a 28-year-old in 2007 with the Indians.
Harrison posted a .347/.374/.602 slash line with four home runs, nine RBI, and four stolen bases. The Pirates went 14-14 in August, partially due to losing reigning NL MVP Andrew McCutchen for 14 games between the 4th and 19th, so it would have been much worse without their speedy utility man. Harrison is now manning third base on an everyday basis in place of the struggling Pedro Alvarez.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)