Vin Scully to cut back on his schedule next year

Sep 3, 2014, 11:02 AM EST

vin scully getty Getty Images

Vin Scully is coming back for another year in the Dodgers broadcast booth in 2015, but he may cut it back. Scully already limits road trips to Arizona, San Francisco, Anaheim and San Diego, but next year he may just do Dodgers home games plus the interleague games in Anaheim. From Bill Shaikin at the L.A. Times:

“I’m going to go to Anaheim for sure,” Scully said Tuesday night. “But I’m going to try to cut back on nights on the road. I really want to spend more time at home.”

Scully is reserving the right to do road games in San Francisco, Arizona and San Diego if the Dodgers are in contention, but will likely sit them out early in the season.

Guy has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants, of course. And a bit more than 50% of Dodgers games with Scully is better than no Dodgers games with Scully.

1. rbts2014 - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Totally concur. WIth his age and his longetivity, it’s all good for him to only work basically the home games.

When the Dodgers are on the road, KLAC Dodgers Radio is the best – nothing better than SNLA video / KLAC audio for the road games when we don’t have the national treasure Vin to listen to.

• Wesley Clark - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM

He really is the best. Baseball has a tendency to overdose on nostalgia sometimes, but he is part of the “Golden Age” of announcers.

2. asimonetti88 - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

It’s awesome that he’s still able to do his job at a high level at his age. Keep on keepin on Vin!

3. rugdaniels - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I would like the Phillies to consider offering a similar deal to Matt Stairs in which he also does not attend road games and sits out games played in Philadelphia as well.

4. miguelcairo - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

It won’t happen, but I wash so badly that Scully was to call the World Series. Can’t even describe how perfect that’d be.

• normcash - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

When I was a kid I loved it when NBC, on both radio and TV, used announcers from the two
      contending teams. In 1968, for example, Curt Gowdy teamed with Harry Caray for the games
      in St. Louis and with George Kell for games in Detroit. On radio, Pee Wee Reese teamed with
      Ernie Harwell for the games in St. Louis and with Jack Buck for the Detroit games. It was fabulous listening to those great announcers!

5. misterschmo - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I’m not really a Dodger fan, but when my teams aren’t playing I gravitate toward Dodger home games. Guess why?

• APBA Guy - Sep 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Completely agree. It helps that my GF is a SoCal girl, and while she’s primarily an Angels fan, she loves Vin as much as the rest of us do. There really is nothing quite as cozy as watching the sun set over Chavez Ravine while Vin is calling a game.

6. rosiebrowne5 - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM

my neighbor’s half-sister makes $75 /hour on the computer . She has been fired for eight months but last month her payment was $17951 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    visit. >>>>>> http://www.g00.me/bhDjM

• miguelcairo - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Craig/admin, can we get rid of this d!ickweed already? ^

7. mazblast - Sep 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Just last night, I was channel surfing on Sirius XM while driving home from a meeting and happened upon Vin doing the Dodgers game. I said to myself, “To he** with my local team’s game, it’s Scully time.”

He’s not what he was 30 years ago, or 20 years ago, or 10 years ago, but he’s still the best listen around.

8. twinfan24 - Sep 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM

It’s not uncommon for older announcers to not make every trip. For the Twins, Blyleven doesn’t take every road trip anymore either.

As mentioned, Scully has earned that right as well or more than others that do the same thing. Wish him the best of luck and glad he can still enjoy his work and get his time at home.

9. mazblast - Sep 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Marty Brenneman doesn’t make all the trips for the Reds anymore, either. The sadness of that is threefold–One, that so many of us remember him as the kid in the booth in the Seventies; Two, that we don’t get to hear him (and I’m not even a Reds fan, but I love the guy except for his perennial b***hing about the schedule); and Three, that less of Marty means more of that moron Jeff Brantley, even when they bring in someone competent as the second guy in the booth.

10. kicksave1980 - Sep 4, 2014 at 3:09 AM

I love Vin, and even though I’m a Cardinals fan, I watch a lot of Dodgers games because of him. It’s great to have a late game called by Vin Scully to wrap up a night. But for as great as he is, the thing that IMO makes him even better is the fact that it’s a one man booth. It’s maddening to have to listen to 2 and 3 men booths BS with each other for 9 innings. I really wish more teams would realize that one good/great announcer in a booth is better than 2-3 average/bad announcers.

• pk53 - Sep 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM

No kidding! Watching ESPN coverage with commentators Curt Shilling and John Kruc was excruciating. They were not even close to announcing the game…BS’ing is a good term. I tuned into MLB.TV as soon as the archive was ready to hear Scully call the good parts!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4753)