Sep 4, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
When the Red Sox acquired Allen Craig from the Cardinals in the John Lackey trade they were hoping a change of scenery would help him rediscover his pre-2014 form, but instead his season-long struggles have become even more extreme.
Craig struck out in all four his plate appearances yesterday and is now hitting .111 with 15 strikeouts in 10 games for the Red Sox.
Before this season–or, perhaps more accurately, before injuring his foot late last season–Craig hit .306 with an .850 OPS through 372 career games, but now Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com writes that Craig “couldn’t have looked more overmatched” and was “flailing at breaking balls way out of the strike zone.”
He’s under contract for $5.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016, $11 million in 2017, and $13 million or a $1 million buyout in 2018.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)