Sep 4, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
For most of the season it’s been assumed that Carlos Beltran would undergo offseason surgery to remove a bone spur from his right elbow and Wednesday the Yankees outfielder/designated hitter made that all but official.
Beltran has battled elbow problems for months and told Brendan Kuty of the Newark Star Ledger that he’ll likely go under the knife shortly after the Yankees’ season is over. The recovery timetable is around two months, so Beltran will have plenty of time to get ready for spring training and try to bounce back in 2015 following a rough first season with the Yankees.
He’s hit just .241 with 15 homers and a .725 OPS after topping an .825 OPS in each of the previous three seasons and has been limited mostly to DH duties. Based on his performance, age, and injury situation the 37-year-old Beltran would probably struggle to get more than an incentive-laden one-year contract on the open market as a free agent this winter, but instead he’s still got two years and $30 million remaining on his deal with the Yankees.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 27
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 68
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)