Sep 4, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
For most of the season it’s been assumed that Carlos Beltran would undergo offseason surgery to remove a bone spur from his right elbow and Wednesday the Yankees outfielder/designated hitter made that all but official.
Beltran has battled elbow problems for months and told Brendan Kuty of the Newark Star Ledger that he’ll likely go under the knife shortly after the Yankees’ season is over. The recovery timetable is around two months, so Beltran will have plenty of time to get ready for spring training and try to bounce back in 2015 following a rough first season with the Yankees.
He’s hit just .241 with 15 homers and a .725 OPS after topping an .825 OPS in each of the previous three seasons and has been limited mostly to DH duties. Based on his performance, age, and injury situation the 37-year-old Beltran would probably struggle to get more than an incentive-laden one-year contract on the open market as a free agent this winter, but instead he’s still got two years and $30 million remaining on his deal with the Yankees.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)