Sep 4, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The last time Daniel Hudson pitched in a major league game was June 26, 2012. Since then he had a Tommy John surgery, started to rehab, got injured again and had a second Tommy John surgery. He may have felt like he’d never get through it all, but there he was last night, coming on in relief for the Dbacks and tossing a scoreless inning.
Afterwards, Hudson was understandably emotional:
“I couldn’t really sit down. It was a lot of different emotions. I wish I could explain them all but I can’t . . . Even if I go out tomorrow and it blows again, it was all worth it. It was a long time coming. Thankfully today came.”
He then took to Twitter last night:
RIP my mentions. So many emotions. So much fun. Thank you guys for sticking with me the last two plus years. I’m tearing up typing this
— Daniel Hudson (@DHuddy41) September 4, 2014
Hudson is the fourth pitcher to undergo Tommy John surgery in consecutive years and return to the majors.
Worth remembering, too, that he’s still only 27-years-old. In 2011 he won 16 games for the Dbacks. Between 2009 and 2011 he went 25-11 with a 3.19 ERA — which worked out to an ERA+ of 128 — for Arizona and for the Chicago White Sox. Here’s hoping he gets a normal offseason this winter and can come back and resume what started out as such a promising career.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)