Sep 4, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The last time Daniel Hudson pitched in a major league game was June 26, 2012. Since then he had a Tommy John surgery, started to rehab, got injured again and had a second Tommy John surgery. He may have felt like he’d never get through it all, but there he was last night, coming on in relief for the Dbacks and tossing a scoreless inning.
Afterwards, Hudson was understandably emotional:
“I couldn’t really sit down. It was a lot of different emotions. I wish I could explain them all but I can’t . . . Even if I go out tomorrow and it blows again, it was all worth it. It was a long time coming. Thankfully today came.”
He then took to Twitter last night:
RIP my mentions. So many emotions. So much fun. Thank you guys for sticking with me the last two plus years. I’m tearing up typing this
— Daniel Hudson (@DHuddy41) September 4, 2014
Hudson is the fourth pitcher to undergo Tommy John surgery in consecutive years and return to the majors.
Worth remembering, too, that he’s still only 27-years-old. In 2011 he won 16 games for the Dbacks. Between 2009 and 2011 he went 25-11 with a 3.19 ERA — which worked out to an ERA+ of 128 — for Arizona and for the Chicago White Sox. Here’s hoping he gets a normal offseason this winter and can come back and resume what started out as such a promising career.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)