Sep 4, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
The last time Daniel Hudson pitched in a major league game was June 26, 2012. Since then he had a Tommy John surgery, started to rehab, got injured again and had a second Tommy John surgery. He may have felt like he’d never get through it all, but there he was last night, coming on in relief for the Dbacks and tossing a scoreless inning.
Afterwards, Hudson was understandably emotional:
“I couldn’t really sit down. It was a lot of different emotions. I wish I could explain them all but I can’t . . . Even if I go out tomorrow and it blows again, it was all worth it. It was a long time coming. Thankfully today came.”
He then took to Twitter last night:
RIP my mentions. So many emotions. So much fun. Thank you guys for sticking with me the last two plus years. I’m tearing up typing this
— Daniel Hudson (@DHuddy41) September 4, 2014
Hudson is the fourth pitcher to undergo Tommy John surgery in consecutive years and return to the majors.
Worth remembering, too, that he’s still only 27-years-old. In 2011 he won 16 games for the Dbacks. Between 2009 and 2011 he went 25-11 with a 3.19 ERA — which worked out to an ERA+ of 128 — for Arizona and for the Chicago White Sox. Here’s hoping he gets a normal offseason this winter and can come back and resume what started out as such a promising career.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (93)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)