Sep 4, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Derek Jeter has 357 career stolen bases and has been successful in attempting to swipe a bag over 78% of the time. That’s good! Brett Gardner has 180 career stolen bases and has been successful in attempting to swipe a bag over 81% of the time. That’s even better! Two pretty fantastic base runners, there.
Which is why seeing both of them thrown out on a double steal is a pretty fun man-bites-dog story this morning:
Some people say that paying close attention to stats and thinking in terms of probabilities takes the fun out of watching baseball. I say that knowing the stats and probabilities makes one appreciate it all the more when the unexpected happens.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 1
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 38
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72