Sep 4, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Masahiro Tanaka continues to make progress in his attempt to return from a partially torn elbow ligament without needing Tommy John surgery, as the Yankees announced that he’ll throw a bullpen session Saturday.
That represents a big step for Tanaka, who’ll advance to throwing off a mound after playing catch from flat ground earlier this week.
Tanaka was shut down in mid-July, but rather than immediately go under the knife and begin the 12-month (or longer) recovery process he’s hoping rest and rehab will do the trick.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 13
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 30
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 17
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 143
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)