Sep 4, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Masahiro Tanaka continues to make progress in his attempt to return from a partially torn elbow ligament without needing Tommy John surgery, as the Yankees announced that he’ll throw a bullpen session Saturday.
That represents a big step for Tanaka, who’ll advance to throwing off a mound after playing catch from flat ground earlier this week.
Tanaka was shut down in mid-July, but rather than immediately go under the knife and begin the 12-month (or longer) recovery process he’s hoping rest and rehab will do the trick.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)