Sep 4, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
It’s common for people to play up the positive, tough-guy aspects of athletes playing through injuries and/or returning sooner than expected, but whenever that goes poorly–and it does, constantly–that’s often just brushed under the rug.
I think it all comes down to the inactivity, I don’t think there’s any question. You take six weeks off and he jumps right back in like he did. That’s on us, he wanted–we knew Brandon wanted to play, but that was in large part our willingness organizationally and my willingness as a manager to say yes. Sure, come on back, you played three games after six weeks, come on back.
Phillips is 8-for-54 (.148) in 14 games since coming off the disabled list “ahead of schedule.”
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20