Sep 4, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees intend to offer GM Brian Cashman a new contract. Why?
Yankees higher-ups are impressed with Cashman’s in-season pickups, including starterBrandon McCarthy, infielder/outfielder Martin Prado and third baseman Chase Headley, and sources say they fairly don’t blame him for the underperformance of some of their established veteran hitters . . .
One wonders who the Yankees blame for the team not developing any position players of note in several years, but it apparently is not Cashman. Or, if it is, they’re willing to overlook it.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)