Sep 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Diamondbacks right-hander Brad Ziegler revealed that he’s been pitching through a knee injury since late June and the side-arming reliever is scheduled to get a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Ziegler told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the injury limits his workout routine more than it limits his actual pitching on the mound, but either way he has a 5.70 ERA in 24 innings since July 1 after posting a 2.34 ERA from April through June.
He may need arthroscopic surgery, but the 34-year-old is hoping to avoid going the knife if at all possible.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)