Sep 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Diamondbacks right-hander Brad Ziegler revealed that he’s been pitching through a knee injury since late June and the side-arming reliever is scheduled to get a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Ziegler told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the injury limits his workout routine more than it limits his actual pitching on the mound, but either way he has a 5.70 ERA in 24 innings since July 1 after posting a 2.34 ERA from April through June.
He may need arthroscopic surgery, but the 34-year-old is hoping to avoid going the knife if at all possible.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)