Sep 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Diamondbacks right-hander Brad Ziegler revealed that he’s been pitching through a knee injury since late June and the side-arming reliever is scheduled to get a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Ziegler told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the injury limits his workout routine more than it limits his actual pitching on the mound, but either way he has a 5.70 ERA in 24 innings since July 1 after posting a 2.34 ERA from April through June.
He may need arthroscopic surgery, but the 34-year-old is hoping to avoid going the knife if at all possible.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)