Sep 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Diamondbacks right-hander Brad Ziegler revealed that he’s been pitching through a knee injury since late June and the side-arming reliever is scheduled to get a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Ziegler told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the injury limits his workout routine more than it limits his actual pitching on the mound, but either way he has a 5.70 ERA in 24 innings since July 1 after posting a 2.34 ERA from April through June.
He may need arthroscopic surgery, but the 34-year-old is hoping to avoid going the knife if at all possible.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 44
- The Nationals and Phillies are nearing a trade for Jonathan Papelbon 25
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 81
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)