The Red Sox may shut down Koji Uehara

Sep 5, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Koji Uehara AP

Alex Speier of WEEI reports that the Red Sox are considering shutting down Koji Uehara. This after he gave up two homers in the ninth inning last night and after he has allowed 10 runs in his last four and two-thirds.

John Farrell said last night that the team will think about whether to give him an extended rest or to totally shut him down. Worth noting, of course, that he had an eight-game rest before his past couple of performances. Also worth noting that he’s 39 and the Sox aren’t really playing for anything else in the final few weeks of the season.

1. tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM

His contract is up after the season isn’t it?

Why on earth wasn’t he traded at the deadline? At the time he would have brought a nice return.

• geejon - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

He was still pitching well at the time. The start of his troubles were 2 weeks after the non-waiver deadline. Teams like Anaheim and Detroit traded away some pretty nice prospects for Street and Soria so you have to imagine the Red Sox got some calls on him. Then again I doubt the Red Sox GM is an idiot and turned down a solid offer for a guy who will be a FA. I can’t call it.

• sabatimus - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

“He was still pitching well at the time”

That’s exactly why they should have moved him.

2. Ren Ignatiago - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM

74.1 innings pitched last year
    61.1 innings pitched this season

Probably maybe cause of the workload, or guys in the league pretty much already know that signature splitter movement of his already. Age can also be a factor of his recent struggles too.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Don’t forget the postseason as he threw another 13.2 IP, for a total of 88 IP overall. It’s probably burnout.

• Ren Ignatiago - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, but he only allowed one run in those 13.2 innings of work in the postseason and the WS combined, safe to say the regular season didn’t pretty much affect his overall postseason performance at that time. Guess the opposing batters pretty much knew already the movement of his pitches especially his splitter this season. Not to mention at age 39, his body can’t handle much of the workload he has been given to him now this year.

• rje49 - Sep 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM

The problem is that the splitter simply isn’t consistantly breaking downward like it should – for whatever reason. That’s when the ball is hit a long way in the opposite direction.

3. girardisbraces - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM

FWIW, I don’t buy into that yearly “they’re not playing for anything” mindset that writers tend to throw around. If I’m the Sox, or any other team, I’m trying hard to throw a wrench into the playoff aspirations of any team I play. And if the Sox shut down Uehara, it should be because: a) he’s injured, or b) he doesn’t give them a chance to win, not because “the Sox aren’t really playing for anything else.”

Having said that, I have to say, watching Uehara’s implosion has been entertaining, to say the least. I think last night’s performance was the coup de grace – fitting that it was done by my Yankees.

4. joestemme - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

As I wrote after the last similar article here, why Farrell kept bringing Koji in for non-save situations so often baffled me with a 39 year old pitcher who has thrown so much over the past year and a half (plus, that extended playoff run).

Shut him down. And, use him more judiciously next year.

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM

For now, I would like to see him replaced as the closer by Tazawa.

• Ren Ignatiago - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Definitely the most logical choice.

• psousa1 - Sep 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Last season Tazawa did auditions for the closer spot before Koji – (It went Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey, Tazawa and then Koji). Tazawa didn’t perform that well in that spot so Koji was the last guy standing.

But I’m sure it will be Tazawa

• proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM

There is only one team that gives Tazawa a lot of trouble. Of course, that team begins a 3 game series in Fenway tonight.

6. edelmanfanclub - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I was at the game it was really bad in the 9th. Didnt you see this coming after how he looked two nights ago? Its age its workload and its over. I love Koji he was one of the heroes of last year but hes probably gone after this year. Mujica or Taz could close.

On a unrelated and unimportant side note Craig Breslow, Dan Butler and Steven Wright are cool guys. I talked to them because I was right behind the Boston pen…

7. freedomofspeechyesway - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

This is unfortunate, I’ve always admired his ability to succeed in the closer role with control and finesse.

8. irishlad19 - Sep 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

At his age, shutting down for the season probably =
    retirement.