Results matching “pete rose”
Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* After meeting with manager Joe Girardi and pitching coach Dave Eiland to discuss his workload, Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to make six more starts this season. Chamberlain has averaged 5.5 innings per start so far, and if that continues he’ll end up throwing 160 innings spread over 29 starts after logging 100 innings between…
Jul 27, 2009, 10:26 PM EDT
Somebody has been stealing your research money, and this is what they came up with: The Wall Street Journal reports that a pair of professors have invented a formula to predict whether a player will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Shockingly, it’s the players with awesome stats who will get in. But if…
Jun 8, 2009, 12:36 PM EDT
A’s rookie Vince Mazzaro tossed 6.1 shutout innings against the White Sox in his MLB debut last week and followed that up with 7.1 scoreless innings against the Orioles yesterday afternoon. Mazzaro becomes just the ninth pitcher since 1954 to begin his career by allowing zero runs in back-to-back starts of at least six innings.…
May 1, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
And that’s the truth no matter what cyclist Tammy Thomas and the New York Daily News has to say.
Apr 11, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Joey Votto was colorful in describing himself to the media after hitting a pair of home runs on Friday night.
Mar 16, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Both America and baseball were built on questionable fortunes, conflicts of interest and power plays. And Del Webb was better than anyone at that stuff.
Mar 15, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are apparently happy to go into the regular season with Tuffy Gosewich as their starting catcher.
Jan 15, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Dirks had a rough 2013 for Detroit and then missed all of 2014 following back surgery, but he’s a 27-year-old career .276 hitter with a .745 OPS in 297 games as a big leaguer.
Jan 11, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the blurb …
Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The Padres have gone crazy this week. The latest: acquiring Justin Upton and his big bat for a couple of prospects.
Dec 7, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney has the scoop …
Nov 25, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Technology itself hasn’t changed how reporters do their jobs. Rather reader demand, newly obvious by technology, has done so.
Nov 18, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Indeed, this could create a political crisis in Brohio.
Nov 5, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Josh Donaldson is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and is likely to command a big sum of money, but the cost-conscious A’s aren’t even considering trading the star third baseman.
Oct 3, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Game 1 of the NLDS went off-script and it turned out to be a fun match-up between bitter playoff rivals.
Sep 5, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
The Cardinals now have a four-game lead over the Brewers in the National League Central.
Aug 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
The Angels, searching for a rotation upgrade after losing Garrett Richards to an injury, had interest in A.J. Burnett of the Phillies, but the right-hander’s player option for 2015 was a deterrent.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale reports that the Braves and Cubs nearly swapped beleaguered, expensive players in B.J. Upton and Edwin Jackson, but it never materialized.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
I never understand the Royals.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:03 AM EDT
You never shoot your arrows . . . when you’re sitting at the table. There’ll be time enough for shootin’ . . . when the game is done.
Jun 7, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Kendrys Morales has finally found a home. It’s in Minnesota.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:14 AM EDT
Michael. Hey, Michael. You got a little, um . . . no, the other side. Yeah, good. You got it.
Mar 30, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2014 season. Next up: The St. Louis Cardinals. The Big Question: Another World Series run? The Cardinals have made the playoffs 10 times since 2000 and…
Feb 15, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Orioles have arguably had the worst off-season of any Major League team. They had the much-publicized contract snafus with closer Grant Balfour and outfielder Tyler Colvin, backing out of contracts with both at the last minute. They traded closer Jim Johnson and, as some have stated, whiffed on the return. Most importantly, though, the…
Feb 13, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
The frustrating thing about the whole Derek Jeter conversation is that even if you — as I do — acknowledge him as an all-time great, inner-circle Hall of Famer and can’t find a bad thing to say about his professionalism, character or overall significance as a figure in the game, there are still people who…
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)