Results matching “pete rose”
Sep 11, 2009, 9:22 AM EDT
SI’s Tim Marchman has a good piece up this morning in which he breaks out what the numbers and career progression would need to look like in order for Derek Jeter to pass Pete Rose for the all-time hits record. Upshot: it almost certainly won’t happen, but it’s not impossible. Personally I’d like to see it simply because…
Sep 10, 2009, 12:37 PM EDT
Last night Brian Roberts smacked his 50th double of the year, joining Hall of Famers Stan Musial, Tris Speaker, and Paul Waner as the only players in baseball history with 50-plus doubles in at least three seasons. Of course, while most fans can cite the significant homer records few people pay much attention to doubles.…
Sep 8, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
My recent posts about Pete Rose led a lot of you to bring up Joe Jackson, either (a) in support of keeping Rose banned (“Rose shouldn’t be let in as long as Shoeless Joe is banned!”) or (b) as a second guy, in addition to Rose, who should be let in (“the Hall of fame…
Aug 25, 2009, 10:21 AM EDT
We had quite a lively debate yesterday about whether Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. I’d have to guess, however, that even the most ardent Rose haters — of which I am not one, no matter what a lot of you think — would agree that Rose has a better claim to Cooperstown immortality…
Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* After meeting with manager Joe Girardi and pitching coach Dave Eiland to discuss his workload, Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to make six more starts this season. Chamberlain has averaged 5.5 innings per start so far, and if that continues he’ll end up throwing 160 innings spread over 29 starts after logging 100 innings between…
Jul 27, 2009, 10:26 PM EDT
Somebody has been stealing your research money, and this is what they came up with: The Wall Street Journal reports that a pair of professors have invented a formula to predict whether a player will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Shockingly, it’s the players with awesome stats who will get in. But if…
Jun 8, 2009, 12:36 PM EDT
A’s rookie Vince Mazzaro tossed 6.1 shutout innings against the White Sox in his MLB debut last week and followed that up with 7.1 scoreless innings against the Orioles yesterday afternoon. Mazzaro becomes just the ninth pitcher since 1954 to begin his career by allowing zero runs in back-to-back starts of at least six innings.…
Jul 20, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
The Sox’ starter is a free agent after this season.
Jul 8, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Rodriguez not making the All-Star team is not an injustice. But his not making it is a baseball thing.
May 1, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
And that’s the truth no matter what cyclist Tammy Thomas and the New York Daily News has to say.
Apr 11, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Joey Votto was colorful in describing himself to the media after hitting a pair of home runs on Friday night.
Mar 16, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Both America and baseball were built on questionable fortunes, conflicts of interest and power plays. And Del Webb was better than anyone at that stuff.
Mar 15, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are apparently happy to go into the regular season with Tuffy Gosewich as their starting catcher.
Jan 15, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Dirks had a rough 2013 for Detroit and then missed all of 2014 following back surgery, but he’s a 27-year-old career .276 hitter with a .745 OPS in 297 games as a big leaguer.
Jan 11, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the blurb …
Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The Padres have gone crazy this week. The latest: acquiring Justin Upton and his big bat for a couple of prospects.
Dec 7, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney has the scoop …
Nov 25, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Technology itself hasn’t changed how reporters do their jobs. Rather reader demand, newly obvious by technology, has done so.
Nov 18, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Indeed, this could create a political crisis in Brohio.
Nov 5, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Josh Donaldson is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and is likely to command a big sum of money, but the cost-conscious A’s aren’t even considering trading the star third baseman.
Oct 3, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Game 1 of the NLDS went off-script and it turned out to be a fun match-up between bitter playoff rivals.
Sep 5, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
The Cardinals now have a four-game lead over the Brewers in the National League Central.
Aug 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
The Angels, searching for a rotation upgrade after losing Garrett Richards to an injury, had interest in A.J. Burnett of the Phillies, but the right-hander’s player option for 2015 was a deterrent.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale reports that the Braves and Cubs nearly swapped beleaguered, expensive players in B.J. Upton and Edwin Jackson, but it never materialized.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
I never understand the Royals.
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 27
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 46
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)